Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Navigation RNS510, Bluetooth 9W7, and RVCamera installed in 2008 Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Post Navigation RNS510, Bluetooth 9W7, and RVCamera installed in 2008 Tiguan

I installed the latest RNS510 navigation system, 9W7 bluetooth module and door-handle RVC reversing camera on a 2008 Tiguan Trendline TDI ordering parts from eBay and CarSystems.pl. Took me all day Saturday working at very leisurely pace. Documented here are some tips.

1) Ordering
    From lithuanian ebay seller "and_jur".
    1) RNS510 "H" version (built December 2012)
    Part 1T0 035 680 H HW H61, SW 2760
    Cost $1050 inc shipping. Arrived in 4 days.
    Interestingly the unit seems to have been spray-painted with silver undercoat, and
    the stickers I think have been printed on an inkjet printer. I am not sure
    if it is meant to be like that, but VCDS confirms the part number is indeed
    version "H". However in the secret FM setup menu (hold SETUP for 5 seconds)
    it says "Delivery part number = 1T0 035 680 F" and Hardware H:61. Anyway it
    works so who cares.

From Poland "carsystems.pl".
    1) 9W7 Bluetooth kit
    Part 7P6 035 730 K SW:3200, HW:H15 (built 26/2012 - according to them it's later than
    the 5K0 units and also supports bluetooth audio control from headunit AVRCP + A2DP )
    $260 including microphone and cabling harness.
    Arrived in 3 days.

2) Low-line RVCamera integrated into boot handle (dumb version with non-moving guidance lines)
    Part 5N0 827 566 J
    $260 including cabling harness.
    Arrived in 3 days.

2) Setting up bluetooth harness microphone connections
    Unlike the spanish harness I used in the Polo a while back, the CarSystems harness is properly
    set up with connectors so you can choose to send the microphone to the RNS510 "inputs" first,
    and connect the Mic-Out pins to the 9W7 unit. No need to change the pins around.

3) Removing old radio (2nd gen = RCD300)
    Remove the card holder and blank panel trims with a spludger, release the two torx screws found behind,
    and the trim just pulls out. Take care with the hazard button as it clips into the top of the radio. Now can
    unscrew the 4 torx screws holding the radio in. Done.
    Link:
    - http://jamaicastore.com/images/RNS_5...tion_Guide.pdf

4) Wiring the microphone
    I wired the microphone starting from the radio cavity, following the main harness behind the
    steering wheel, to the drivers side A-pillar. (Took me a while to figure out following the
    main harness is much easier than just randomly trying to poke the wire across)
    Removing the A-pillar requires a firm tug, it is held by 3 clips. Unlike the 2011 Polo 6R,
    the 2008 Tiguan actually has an airbag located behind this trim so much care is advised!
    Make sure the wire is not infront of any airbag components. I have read that after removing
    the A-pillar trim, ideally all three clips should be replaced on the trim with new ones for
    airbag purposes, however I noted that the clips were not damaged in any way.
    You don't have to unscrew the sunvisor or roof handle at all. Fish the wire up to the
    dome light, where there is a piece of black foam where the microphone belongs.

5) 9W7 Bluetooth module
    With the standard Climatic controls (not automatic Climatronic) the Bluetooth module does not fit in the dash. I ran the harness along the drivers side sill to under the drivers seat. The unit fits perfectly with the foam
    and sticky velcro supplied. I noticed under the passenger seat is a loose buckle and clip, as if it were
    meant to hold something there. Possibly the dynaudio amplifier? I don't have the amp. Certainly the 9W7 module
    doesn't need such strong restraint, it's fine on the drivers side.

6) Installing the RVC camera handle
    Remove the boot trim as described in another great thread on this forum (with photos). It's two screws
    and then all just clips. Changing the boot handle requires a socket wrench with long extension, and 10mm bit.
    Then the handle just clips out. I had to take the reverse signal wire up to the boot (through the
    rubber tube) because the CarSystems harness reverse trigger wire was too short. The reverse signal can be
    found behind the trim in the right hand side of the boot - a black/blue wire. See other thread linked below.
    Running the RVC harness to the front took a while. I just followed the driver side door sill. The RVC
    power +/- (red and black) I just tapped from the RNS510 harness in the car dash. Rather than cutting off
    power plugs etc, I removed the 4 or so PINS from the RNS510 end of the harness, and wired from boot
    to the front of the car - also this has the benefit of not having to worry about how much slack wire to leave
    at the front (and potentially coming up short when you eventually reach the boot). I wrapped the delicate
    RNS510 pins in tape to protect them.

Links:
    - http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...ima-36131.html
    - http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...ted-70087.html

7) Installing the RNS510
    Antenna: The 2008 Tiguan and second gen RCD300 had two separate FAKRA connectors, while the third
    gen units like RNS510 have a double-FAKRA connector. There is a $20 adapter available on eBay or
    $50 from VW parts, but I just smashed off the plastic ends of the single cables and inserted the
    metal SMA connectors directly into the RNS510 unit. NOTE: The white cable (roof antenna) goes into
    the socket closer to the edge of the rns510, and the cream-brown cable (from rear window antenna)
    goes in the socket further from the edge. If you get it wrong, you get no AM reception, and slightly
    crackly FM (the FM is almost the same, so test the AM to make sure you got it right!)

I plan to fix the dual-FAKRA plastic connector as detailed in another post. See update later in this thread. Link:
    http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...tml#post837741

RVC Camera: At first my RVC camera didn't work.... when I put it in reverse it just showed a
    black screen and "Look! Safe to reverse?". Luckily I read a post on here where someone did a whole
    lot of troubleshooting only to find the connector wasn't properly inserted in the RNS510. Lucky for
    me this was the first thing I checked and that solved it! Connector wasn't in properly. After that,
    beautiful wide-angle colour picture (even works in the dark! Probably due to reversing lights providing
    enough illumination)

GPS puck antenna: Fit above the RNS510 unit on a little plastic shelf just under the dash. Used
    a double-sided 3M sticky foam bit to make sure it doesn't move. Reception works fine as far as I can
    tell. It has direct view through windscreen through the dash plastic.

Issues:

- MFD: The 2008 Tiguan has the red MFD. After coding the RNS510 to deactivate "BAP protocol", the MFD
    shows instructions (via the older DDP protocol) just fine. However, the newer 9W7 is only compatible
    with white MFD and BAP protocol. Therefore the telephone button doesn't work, and the MFD doesn't
    display any phone information. It doesn't matter because everything is controlled by the RNS510
    anyway-- I never use the phone button in the Polo where it works (and the Polo white MFD doesn't even
    show nav instructions because it has the cheap MFD not the full dot-matrix one of the Polo GTI)

- Maps: I installed latest v5 maps with the updated POI.db by aussietig...... definitely worth it! Check
    out the POI sticky in the Audio&Nav forum to see how to do it. One problem was the Rns510 refused to load the v5+custom POI CD, because v5 was already installed on the unit. You either need to install the v4 maps again, and then install the v5+poi maps, OR use the map-HDD format CD. Changing just the title of the disc (nero/imgburn/whatever) from CD_7679 to CD_7680 didn't work. To use the "HDD map erase disc", open the car, turn on rns510, DO NOT put key in ignition, then go into force firmware mode with SETUP+EJECT+STAR, then insert the CD when it prompts. When I just put the CD in without the key combo first, I got an error "current software version is newer than CD software version". The CD doesn't actually change any software, it just loads the firmware-load interface to do a command to format the /hdd2 partition where the maps are. My MP3 and "favourite destinations" all stayed put. Then when the unit restarts after the format, you can press the MAP button and confirm the maps have been deleted because the rns510 says "Please insert map disc". I also used POInspector on the poi.db3 file and added a few POI categories of my own.... just add them under "Alphabetical"..... you will see that's where all the other custom ones are too. Icons need to be .PNG format and a certain size (you get an error telling you the exact size it must be)

Links:
    POI.db by aussietig: http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...tml#post750765
    HDD maps format CD: http://vwnavi.com/volkswagen-factory...html#post50989

Upgrades highly recommended. Cost ~$1600, one sunny weekend day, and minor grazes to the hands.
    Last edited by YellowLemon; 22-08-2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Photos, Aerial connection info
    - 2011 Multivan T5.2 - 2,0L 135kW BiTDI. Mod info here
    - 2008 Tiguan 5N 103TDI 4MOTION. Mods: RNS510 | Colour MFD | MFSW | LED tail lights | Mirror LED | Footwell LED

Users Country Flag
    Good write up YellowLemon.
    Im doing a similar project on an MY12 Tig, though I'm getting an installer to run the cables.
    Interesting comment on the 2 antenna.
    My ANS810 headunit comes with a keyed adaptor that only fits one of the 2 Fakra plugs; I get no AM and average FM.
    Might try a hammer!
    Tiguan MY12 118TSI, white, no frills..... Had ANS810 ... Note the HAD ..... Now got RCD510 supplemented by 7" Android TomTom mounted on a HoldMyPhone .... Upgraded speakers Vibe BlackAir front splits and MBQuartz 12" ported sub driven from Infinity Reference 5350a amp .... oh and added fun

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I thought on MY12 you wouldn't have two separate FAKRA antenna plugs, just a single "dual-FAKRA" plug?
    - 2008 Tiguan 5N 103TDI 4MOTION. Mods: RNS510 | Colour MFD | MFSW | LED tail lights | Mirror LED | Footwell LED

Thats correct on my MY12 Lemon .. a single dual plug

Also per your pic, its an F version, not H, send them an email with the pic you posted above .. who knows, he might refund you a little

Users Country Flag
    Yes, your right, I've got a dual plug which is 'keyed'.
    So the adaptor from the head unit only fits in one half.
    Maybe the keying is wrong , or the adaptor is wrong or the wiring enters the dual socket wrong.... Dunno.
    But the symptoms remain; no AM and only ok FM.
    i shall attempt a swap and report back.
    Tiguan MY12 118TSI, white, no frills..... Had ANS810 ... Note the HAD ..... Now got RCD510 supplemented by 7" Android TomTom mounted on a HoldMyPhone .... Upgraded speakers Vibe BlackAir front splits and MBQuartz 12" ported sub driven from Infinity Reference 5350a amp .... oh and added fun

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr freedom View Post
    Thats correct on my MY12 Lemon .. a single dual plug

Also per your pic, its an F version, not H, send them an email with the pic you posted above .. who knows, he might refund you a little
    If VCDS scan says it's a H, then it's a H.

What you see displayed on the unit can be misleading and reflects the default version associated with the particular software/firmware version which in his case was 3970.
    MY11 Tiguan 147TSI (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by whiskywallah View Post
    Yes, your right, I've got a dual plug which is 'keyed'.
    So the adaptor from the head unit only fits in one half.
    Maybe the keying is wrong , or the adaptor is wrong or the wiring enters the dual socket wrong.... Dunno.
    But the symptoms remain; no AM and only ok FM.
    i shall attempt a swap and report back.
    My bet is the aerial swap will fix it... the AM at least

As for the RNS510 version, yes VCDS says version "H": I would be too scared to complain to the Polish/Lithuania outfit anyway, rather than a refund they will probably send their mafia mates to my place

Quote Originally Posted by aussietig View Post
    If VCDS scan says it's a H, then it's a H.

What you see displayed on the unit can be misleading and reflects the default version associated with the particular software/firmware version which in his case was 3970.
    so you can upgrade firmware & it doesnt display the correct info on the unit

very weird.. makes buying one difficult as well

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowLemon View Post
    From lithuanian ebay seller "and_jur".

Interestingly the unit seems to have been spray-painted with silver undercoat, and
    the stickers I think have been printed on an inkjet printer. I am not sure
    if it is meant to be like that, but VCDS confirms the part number is indeed
    version "H". However in the secret FM setup menu (hold SETUP for 5 seconds)
    it says "Delivery part number = 1T0 035 680 F" and Hardware H:61. Anyway it
    works so who cares.
    That should be instant warning bells...

Avoid Lithuanian and UK sellers (a lot of Lithuanian sellers use a UK ebay address) selling RNS-510 for ~$1k. These "refurbished" units are almost certainly stolen out of a car. Lithuania especially is notorious, a unit being from Lithuania alone should be enough to steer you clear.

Unless you are perfectly happy buying potentially stolen goods, you should go for brand new rather than "excellent condition" or "factory refurbished" units. Even then, there have been news of truckloads of brand new RNS-510s stolen straight from the factory... It is difficult to tell these days but you should generally be wary if the unit is only ~$1k. You'd have to make absolutely sure about the legitimacy of the supplier, unless of course you are willing to turn a blind eye...
    Last edited by DkN; 25-07-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    TR 08 Golf GT TDI, Custom Code Phase 1, Milltek Exhaust, Whiteline RSB + ALK, APR Carbonio Intake

I assumed the eBay units must be legit because otherwise how would they get the code cards? Either way I can't comment because I don't have a 100% legit unit to compare to, with respect to whether the stickers are always black and white and whether the metal parts are meant to be painted grey.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast