Support VWWC

Thread: have VW resolved the 118TSI engine problem?

Post have VW resolved the 118TSI engine problem?

Recently, I wanna buy an VW car, but there is a lot of information about the 118TSI engine problem, have VW resolved the 118TSI engine problem? why does VW evade the issue?

Users Country Flag
    What exactly is the problem with this engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    To be fair reading thru threads like that would make anyone nervous but on closer inspection two of those links are for one thread, one article is from January 2011 stating VW will discontinue the engine and speculated as to why but now it's nov 2011 and the engine is still here.

If the engine really gave as much trouble as those threads imply you would have ALOT more threads about the engine than you see on this forum and those in other countries where the engine is sold.
    Similar to how there are many dsg related threads. Basically if alot of people really had problems with their tsi then the noise would be "deafening" so to speak.

One issue I do know of is that VW has issued knew spark plugs for this engine. I will try to find the link for you

thanks! I just wanna clear my mind of doubt.

I got the thread about VW changes spark plug:

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...ued-63932.html

is it right?

As for DSG, maybe manual transmission is a best way to evade the harsh shudder, by the way, manual is also full of driving pleasure.

Users Country Flag
    I was going to link to a post based in the uk about a scirocco on a different forum but the one you provided is the same issue. Heck might even be the same poster!

I don't have much experience with the dsg. I'm waiting on a new Jetta and my dealer doesn't offer manual as an option. I didn't find any issue with the dsg during the test drive but after reading so many negative dsg threads I'm a little nervous about how it will work during daily drives; especially on hills where I commute.

Users Country Flag
    most of the engine failures were caused by incorrect fuel (low octane) and the knocking/pinging went to tolerances outside of the ecu control, the software update then added in these tolerances and blown engines have definitly been reduced.

Ever noticed that most of the failures were golf/jetta not Golf GT and Polo GTI? Mainly because GT/GTI owners are enthusiasts and always make sure they put the best fuel in there car. Where as most golf/jetta are only worried about price at the bowser.

This is the speech i got from VW pretty much, because we as Techs also questioned the quality of the engine.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by buzuki View Post
    Ever noticed that most of the failures were golf/jetta not Golf GT and Polo GTI? Mainly because GT/GTI owners are enthusiasts and always make sure they put the best fuel in there car. Where as most golf/jetta are only worried about price at the bowser.
    I wouldn't be so fast to blame users. The 118kW version of the TSi engine was set by VW to run extremely lean so they could quote really good fuel consumption figures on their brochures.

The GT and Polo GTi variants are not tuned to this degree so they don't have the pinging => piston melting issue. You can see this quite easily by comparing the power and fuel consumption figures for the GT and the 118kW Golf TSi - for a measly extra 7kW, the GT uses almost litre more per 100km in both urban and country fuel cycles.

Users Country Flag

not my words mate, they are volkswagens words.