Support VWWC

Thread: RNS510 idiots guide

RNS510 idiots guide

Hi guys,

i pick up an R32 2008 my09 from the garage tomorrow, which has the V1 map disk in the glovebox. So as i have not actually used the RNS510 yet, i have what might be some stupid questions.

I have been looking at a number of threads on here, so just wanted to clarify some steps.

Even if i upgrade to the latest version there are still no audible alerts for speed cameras/school zones?
    so my choices would be either replace with something like the Zenec 2010, or buy a cheap tomtom and leave that running in map mode in the glove box?

my understanding is that V5 is the latest set of maps?
    i believe i first need to enable the secret menu, check which version of firmware and model i have, and then upgrade the firmware appropriately?
    can i upgrade direct from v1 to v5?
    where can i get the latest version from, without paying a fortune for it?

thanks

Simon

Users Country Flag
    I find it bazaar that they 510 does not offer speed cam alerts... not a huge problem here in country nsw but it would be something nice which a $50 gps has.

There is a download link for the v5 maps on gpsunderground....

Users Country Flag
    The V5 maps have some errors with the posted speed limits being 10 or more km/h over the actual limit.

Yeah, I'm still using v4.x maps for that reason. It's really not that hard for me to notice the speed cameras on the large RNS screen (I always have it showing maps unless it's a quick local drive).

2 of the stickied threads have download links for firmware and maps.

i came across CAMSAM app for my phone - this seems like it could be a good option. Just leave this running on your phone to get audible alerts for speed cameras. You could always cross reference with the icon on the screen if you download the POI's.

not tried it yet - anyone else try this for Sydney?

I have the Trapster app on my phone, haven't used it much though. The POIs tend to stick out on the RNS and I raarely drive unfamiliar routes so it's no big deal.

I'll install the free version of it though and try it out one day.
    Last edited by Ryan_R; 10-04-2012 at 04:28 PM.