Thread: RNS-510 with Parrot CK3000 low volume problem

Users Country Flag

RNS-510 with Parrot CK3000 low volume problem

I recently installed a Parrot CK3000 kit in my dad's Tiguan. Install went smoothly, however we are having an issue with very low volume. We have the phone volume turned all the way up and the phone too. The music is muting when the call comes through but the volume is barely audible.

Any ideas?

Michael
    Current: 2017 Passat 206TFSI R-Line
    Previous: 2007 Jetta TFSI DSG
    19" Shadow Chrome Omanyts | R-Line Fog Light Grills | FK StreetLine Coilovers | Sunroof |
    Votex Bodykit w/ Gunmetal Diffuser | Parrot Bluetooth & Steering Wheel Kit | OEM Xenons

Users Country Flag
    coded via VCDS?

RNS510 reset performed?
    MY16 Touareg 4.2Lt V8 TDI/Pure White LED lightbox/REDARC Brake Controller/ Racechip/iDrive Throttle controller
    2008 GOLF .:R32/5DR DBPE DSG/SUNROOF/RNS510/PRIVACY TINT/CONTI SC3s/MILLTEK CATBACK NON-RES/9W2 BT/"MYR-032"

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    no coding done. What coding would be required? i thought that would only be for the factory bluetooth?

how do i reset the unit? also what do you think this achieves? (just curious)
    19" Shadow Chrome Omanyts | R-Line Fog Light Grills | FK StreetLine Coilovers | Sunroof |
    Votex Bodykit w/ Gunmetal Diffuser | Parrot Bluetooth & Steering Wheel Kit | OEM Xenons

Users Country Flag
    if you are running the BT thru the RNS (and as such...through the vehicles CANBUS) it would be my guess that a CAN Module needs to be adjusated via VCDS settings/cable. Others with experience with BT installs may know the answer to this.

Reset of the RNS is achieved by pressing "<" + ">" + "i" (or the button at top right hand corner next to "Eject".

Like a normal PC, that requires a re-start when installing new software/updates, the RNS requires a reset whenever adjustments/additions are made.
    MY16 Touareg 4.2Lt V8 TDI/Pure White LED lightbox/REDARC Brake Controller/ Racechip/iDrive Throttle controller
    2008 GOLF .:R32/5DR DBPE DSG/SUNROOF/RNS510/PRIVACY TINT/CONTI SC3s/MILLTEK CATBACK NON-RES/9W2 BT/"MYR-032"

Understand the pc restart thing, I just figured removing the unit from the car would've involved a restart when we reconnected it all.

Look forward to hearing opinions/advise on coding...

BUMP! So i realise its been about 3 months since this post was current, but i never did get around to fixing my dads bluetooth and now it has to be done.

So I was hoping somebody with coding experience would either have an answer, or be able to volunteer to help in (melbourne based obviously). We have a RNS-510 from factory installed in the Tiguan with the CK3000 with steering controls fitted up. Only symptom remaining is the low volume of the parrot kit.

Any suggestions would be a massive help.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by MJT View Post
    Any suggestions would be a massive help.
    How have you got the Parrot blue electronics unit wired to the car?

Option 1: Did you use the original "mute" harness where you plug all the car speakers in one side, and then the RNS510 into the other side? (ie RNS510 connector 1 = ISO speaker connector)

Option 2: Or did you cut off the mute harness and wire the two Parrot "audio out" wires to the "telephone in" pins of the RNS510 (connector 3 pins 5 and 11)? This is more technically difficult and you would have to know what you are doing. To get the radio to mute with this setup, you need to attach the Parrot "mute" output to the "mute" pin of the RNS510 (pin 10 connector 3)

See pins here: Volkswagen RNS 510 pin assignments | my-gti.com

Parrot wiring: http://www.akamsi.com/sandbox/parrot.JPG

Most likely you used Option 1, which means the speakers are being directly driven by the Parrot's internal amplifier within the Blue Box (and not via RNS510.... so the RNS510 volume control does nothing to the Bluetooth volume). If you used the official Parrot MULTICAN adapter box which comes with it's own wiring harness to fit the VW as plug and play, you are probably using Option 1.

If you used Option 1, all you need to do is turn up the volume with the Parrot's little volume control knob. Do you have that fitted? It sounds like you might not because you have it integrated into the CANBUS for the steering wheel control. This would require a separate CANBUS adapter unit which it sounds like you might have. In this case, you need to use the steering wheel control to turn up the Parrot's volume, while the Parrot is "active" ie playing sound.

Check the manual for the CANBUS adapter you are using.

Alternatively if none of that works, you could wire it as described in Option B above. For this you would have to figure out which of the 2 Parrot wires correspond to "Audio Out + " and "Audio Out -" . Parrot does not explicitly state this because they intend for you to use their auto-mute wiring harness which comes in the box. However lots of people have wired the Parrot using Option B........ just google the internet and some post or other will explain how to remove the mute harness from the Parrot blue control box and just get the "Audio Out + " and "Audio Out -" wires to connect to pins 5 and 11 of the RNS510 connector 3.

For anyone interested here is the pinout for getting rid of the bulky black Parrot "mute box cable" and plugging the Parrot
    directly in to the car radio audio input:

http://peterfoot.net/HackingTheParro...ionCarKit.aspx
    Last edited by YellowLemon; 23-08-2012 at 06:37 PM.
    - 2011 Multivan T5.2 - 2,0L 135kW BiTDI. Mod info here
    - 2008 Tiguan 5N 103TDI 4MOTION. Mods: RNS510 | Colour MFD | MFSW | LED tail lights | Mirror LED | Footwell LED

Users Country Flag

I'm sorry to report, but the only way to fix this issue is pull it out, put it in the bin, then buy a VW bluetooth kit.

I know, I have 3 of the CK3000 kits with all adaptors etc, laying in my garage. They are rubbish. Plus a firmware update last year, cause them to no longer connect to phones. Then do the steering wheel buttons or hold the answer and hang up button till it beeps.

Then it's been cleared of all stored phones and you start over. Just to do this again a week or two later.
    No longer connects via bluetootk to a PC to do any newer firmware update.

VW bluetooth kits. Plug and play. It always works. Can phone from the RCD510 if need be. Access phone book if your RCD510 supports it.
    Really is a no brainer.
    Audi S4 (2001) - Imola Yellow
    Secret Project