Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rns 510 adding aftermarket amp/speakers

rns 510 adding aftermarket amp/speakers

Hello

I'm getting 2 amps and new speakers installed into my Skoda Superb whilst retaining the factory RNS 510 unit with a Line out converter. The installer was having some problems getting any sound or signal from the head unit, could this be a coding issue that needs to be changed through VCDS? Anyone else added aftermarket amps to their RNS 510 unit??

Thanks

Users Country Flag
    Haven't had that direct experience, however I did install an RNS510 in a Superb with factory amp and had a somewhat similar problem.
    Basically although the car was correctly coded for 'sound system' there was no sound. In my case the amp had sort of gone to sleep due to the original Bolero head unit being removed. I had to do a scan for fault codes on the amp and it came back to life.

In your case I think that you may just need to change the coding. You may need to set the coding up. Trial and error maybe.
    Try this for starters:
    Volkswagen RNS 510 coding when installing with a factory amplifier | my-gti.com
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

thanks for the suggestions. I'll let the shop know tomorrow but unsure they have access to a VCDS. Thing is, they have done other installs on Skoda Octavia's with the same unit so not sure why they are having issues with mine.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by romaniac View Post
    Hello

I'm getting 2 amps and new speakers installed into my Skoda Superb whilst retaining the factory RNS 510 unit with a Line out converter. The installer was having some problems getting any sound or signal from the head unit, could this be a coding issue that needs to be changed through VCDS? Anyone else added aftermarket amps to their RNS 510 unit??

Thanks
    The RNS unit can easily be via VAGCom (ross-tech is suggested) told to output line-level rather than speaker level as it would if there was a factory amplifier installed in the vehicle. The reason he won't be getting any output is the unit is currently set to drive speakers with speaker level output and as such has a function called 'speaker monitoring' which will be detecting the absence of correct impedance and subsequently killing the output.

Instructions on how to adjust the coding: http://www.my-gti.com/1411
    Last edited by mythik; 26-03-2012 at 09:48 AM.

OK got it working by adding a AudioControl LC6i line out converter..didn't need to do any tuning via VCDS. Sounds pretty good and a huge improvement on standard!

Only problem I have is there is now a airbag fault light came on as I also got a Video in motion unlock fitted and needed to unplug and replug the airbag. Now I just need someone with a VCDS who can clear it!

Users Country Flag
    30 second job to clear it mate. If you are near Melbourne's west, we could take care of that tomorrow. Piece of Cake. PM me and we will sort something out
    Graphite Blue TDI| DSG | Leather | Bi-Xenons | Custom LED inner tails | Black Forest TAI | OSIR Pod & New South Boost Gauge | Bluefin | Projector Fogs | RNS510 | Skoda Bluetooth | Eibach Pro kit Springs| Full LED interior|US GLI paddle shift MFSW|Carbon Vinyl wrapped trims|Colour Coded Votex Body Kit|

Thanks for your offer mate, I'll be in touch later today.

Another issue I've come across is the sound isn't very loud when turning it up to full volume on RNS510. I have 2 rockford amps powering focal speakers that should be a lot louder. THe other thing I noticed is if I go into the fader settings and set the fader to rear, there is no sound coming out of the rear speakers but there are speakers installed and running off the amp. Does anyone know what settings I should be inputting via VCDS to fix this?? Are these the settings I should be using Volkswagen RNS 510 coding when installing with a factory amplifier | my-gti.com

Users Country Flag
    Firstly, you didn't need to use a line-level converter as it could have been simply adjusted to line-level using VCDS as mentioned earlier.

Secondly, it sounds like there's a connection issue. I'd suggest that the installer only connected the front L+R output from the head unit to the AudioControl LC6i line out converter.

Reading the manual: http://www.sound-better.net/Support/...nd/LC6i_OM.pdf indicates that it takes inputs and then outputs front/rear separately, given your setup you've described, it should work as expected assuming it's connected correctly.

Ok first of all thanks to Buckets (Craig) for helping out with his VCDS tonight! So the airbag problem is sorted that was easy, however we had a little bit more trouble with the sound. Played around with a various settings in VCDS and found the follow

- When selecting no sound system, there is a big improvement in the loudness and clarity HOWEVER, once we reset the RNS510 there is no sound coming out of the speakers. It's strange that it works once you change the coding (from VW to No sound system) and notice the improvement but once the unit resets it's gone.

- Tried a number of combinations in the sound system section (Dynaudio, Skoda, Volkswagen, no sound system) The only one where it worked after a reset was when selecting Volkswagen.

- We also tried a number of combinations with No sound and setting speakers to inactive, speaker monitoring inactive, front and rear active etc with no luck. No matter what we did we couldn't get any sound when selecting Sound System not installed and any of the above permutations.

-I think you are right mythik regarding the front L&R output, it seems that the back isn't connected as they are very faint and even when fading to rear there is no sound.

Suggestions? It's annoying as I know the speakers and amps are capable of a lot more. I was going to ring the installer and ask how the LC6i was connected up...failing any help from him, would anyone know of a professional car audio shop that has experience with VW cars and has a VCDS that could tune my system?

Ok think I worked out why there was no sound coming out after coding the VCDS to to "No Sound System". The aftermarket amps weren't powering up once the system was shut off and back on again. I'm gettig a Alpine Digital Processor installed in 2 weeks time to replace the existing Line Out Convert and will get the Audio Shop to code the VCDS for no sound system then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast