Support VWWC

Thread: Reverse Camera retrofit - Badge or Numberplate mount?

Reverse Camera retrofit - Badge or Numberplate mount?

I'm looking to retrofit a reverse camera to my MkV GTi, and I'm tossing up between two different kits. The first is the OEM MkVI Badge camera: VW Rear Emblem Camera KIT - Retrofit - Golf 6
    The second is the Scirocco numberplate camera kit: VW Rear Camera KIT - Retrofit - Scirocco 1K8980551 1K9980551
    I love the gimmicky "pop out" feature of the badge camera, but wondering if anyone has used a numberplate mount camera on an MkV and can comment on whether it works well enough, or am I better off spending the extra $200 odd and getting the badge camera.
    Hoping to order this week.
    Al..
    2013 MY13.5 Passat V6 Highline Wagon. Watch this space
    GONE:2017 MY18 Skoda RS169 Wagon w/ Tech & Lux, 2007 VW MKV Golf GTi

Users Country Flag
    I had the RVC in my MY10 Mk6 GTI and it was absolutely fantastic...

Benefits I find of the pop out camera...
    - Keeps it protected from the elements and as such clear view all the time....
    - It is out of the way and you wouldn't know it is there unless you were told....
    - It is central to your car so you know the guidance lines are central to your car and as such are accurate.

Downfalls....
    - People kept stopping me to tell me my car was broken because the badge would pop up whenever I would put it in reverse.
    - It ruins your ability to reverse park without a reversing camera (but this is the same as the number plate located one...)

Hope that helps.
    2008 Mk5 Golf .:R32/ BMP/ RCD-510/ More to come

Users Country Flag
    I installed a number plate RVC in my wife's MkV.
    Its neat enough and works very well. As Peteaussie mentions, rain gets on the number plate ones. Just makes for a blurry image until its dry again.
    I would suspect having read the guides that the actual time and effort required would be pretty similar for both. You still have to run cable from the head unit, dismantle trim etc etc. With the number plate you have to take off the bumper and valance which is non-trivial.

I'm happy with the end result. If it were my car and I was to do it again I think I'd tackle the badge install though...
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

There's a very detailed DIY for installing a MkVI RVC (badge) into a MkV on my-gti.com:

Installing a Golf Mark VI Rear View Camera (RVC) into a Golf Mark V | my-gti.com
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG