Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just installed RNS510 in MK6 , couple of small notes.

Just installed RNS510 in MK6 , couple of small notes.

Hi all,

I've just completed the change from the RCD510 to the RNS510 in my MY12 GTI. Everything went perfectly thanks to the many posts available to assist with the installation, I just thought I'd leave a couple of small notes regarding a couple of issues I encountered.

First, here is a list of the resources I used to help me out:

1. HOW TO: Retrofit an RNS510 Sat Nav System.
    2. DIY - RNS510 install for MKVI (w/bluetooth and MDI)
    3. DIY - RNS510 Install
    4. Volkswagen RNS 510 coding when installing with a factory amplifier | my-gti.com

The physical installation is just as easy as everyone says, it really is just plug and play. All I will say is that getting the surround off from around the radio is TERRIFYING, you need to use a LOT of force to get the 6 clips off.

Once the installation was done I had to make a few small coding changes:

1. To get the unit to recognise the Dynaudio amp:
    Under Controller 37 change Byte 1 as appropriate. I set mine to "05 Dynaudio Sound System" as I wasn't sure what "07 Dynaudio Sound System (BAP DSP) was!

2. To get the navigation instructions to display on the MFD, and the steering controls to work:
    Still under Controller 37, enable Byte 7, Bit 7 "Communication Instrument Cluster via Operation and Display Protocol (BAP)"

After those changes the RNS510 was still not seeing the AMP, and the steering wheel controls for radio station scrolling where not working. You can tell the AMP was not working as there is no Front/Rear fader option. A reboot of the system solved the problem and it was all good from there.

I got the RNS510 LED Version C from out Lithuanian friend, delivered for $950
    I got the VAG-COM cable from Dub Addiction for $299
    The install took about 45 minutes. So for half the price of the factory fitted option I have more functionality (Video in Motion) and a VAG-COM cable that will be a huge value to me.

The VAG-COM cable is awesome. After the installation I started googling for other things to change. I've already fixed a "Coming Home" light problem with my Xenon's, now the world is my oyster. All I can say is, GET ONE

Next for me is the installation of an OEM reversing camera. It looks a little more challenging, but also a lot of fun.
    Last edited by gjws; 17-09-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Did you use a trim removal tool or a credit card??

Quote Originally Posted by gjws View Post
    The physical installation is just as easy as everyone says, it really is just plug and play. All I will say is that getting the surround off from around the radio is TERRIFYING, you need to use a LOT of force to get the 6 clips off.

have u dont the needle cluster sweep mod
    2011 cw golf gti 3dr man-tint-rear cargo mat-weathershields-bluetooth-mdi-19" oz racing ultra leggera-mcgard lockbolts-boston acoustic pro60se-jl audio xd700/5-jl audio bass tube bb-w060p- titanium exhaust tips-eibach custom pro-kit-OPS-OSIR cf mirror covers and cf front lip-dieselgeek short shifter

Quote Originally Posted by frozze View Post
    Did you use a trim removal tool or a credit card??
    I started with a credit card but it just bent, you really need some serious leverage! I had a bike puncture repair kit in the toolbox and it had a small plastic lever for getting the tyre off the rim. I ended up placing the credit card in between the dash and the lever to protect the dash, then levering the surround off by slowly working around the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by walbjj View Post
    have u dont the needle cluster sweep mod
    hmmmm, no I haven't. I'm guessing you recommend it?

Hhmm.. what do you reckon the chances of snapping one of the clips?? Did you get the hang of it after unclipping a few?

I started with a credit card but it just bent, you really need some serious leverage! I had a bike puncture repair kit in the toolbox and it had a small plastic lever for getting the tyre off the rim. I ended up placing the credit card in between the dash and the lever to protect the dash, then levering the surround off by slowly working around the outside.

Hhmm.. what do you reckon the chances of snapping one of the clips?? Did you get the hang of it after unclipping a few?
    The clips are steel so I don't think you would snap one, I would guess the most likely thing to snap would be the surround where it is quite thin across the top. My suggestions would be to start at the bottom right where the surround is quite thick and much less likely to break, once you have one or two clips off you do sort of get the hang of it. The hardest one for me was the very last one at the top left, I was very gentle as I was worried about snapping that thin part across the top.

Thanks for the info. Really helps. Will be getting the new Jetta at the end of Oct with RCD510 and i'm intending on swapping it with the RNS510. Hardware installation seems "easy" enough but I'm not handy at all! Gotta figure out the coding/programming bit too!

Great work btw!

The clips are steel so I don't think you would snap one, I would guess the most likely thing to snap would be the surround where it is quite thin across the top. My suggestions would be to start at the bottom right where the surround is quite thick and much less likely to break, once you have one or two clips off you do sort of get the hang of it. The hardest one for me was the very last one at the top left, I was very gentle as I was worried about snapping that thin part across the top.

Thanks for the info. Really helps. Will be getting the new Jetta at the end of Oct with RCD510 and i'm intending on swapping it with the RNS510. Hardware installation seems "easy" enough but I'm not handy at all! Gotta figure out the coding/programming bit too!
    PM me when you get it, I'm also in Melbourne and happy to help with the coding. Not sure if it's the same as the GTI but it will be documented somewhere out there

Wow thanks mate! Will keep your offer in mind. Happy to trade your services with a slab!

PM me when you get it, I'm also in Melbourne and happy to help with the coding. Not sure if it's the same as the GTI but it will be documented somewhere out there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast