Support VWWC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to re-partition the HDD in your RNS510

Users Country Flag

How to re-partition the HDD in your RNS510

************BIG DISLAIMER ************

As with all such operations, the user accepts all responsibility for any issues which may be caused by modifying their RNS510 navigation system.

***********End disclaimer**************

UPDATE
    Now also working with 39xx series firmware. See this thread.

Have an RNS510 and annoyed by how much space is wasted to the map partition?
    (The default settings assign 67% of available space for music and 33% for the mapping data regardless of drive size.)

Have you upgraded the OEM hard drive with a larger SSD using JOhnC's excellent guide http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...diy-60984.html and even MORE annoyed by how much space is being wasted for the map partition?

Then look no further.
    Thanks to vwnavi user josi I present a guide for changing the partition scheme using 276x firmware.

Before you proceed, please read this first section VERY carefully:

You will lose all your music and your map data! You have been warned!

Required for the operation:
    1. 276x firmware CD. Carefully read the warnings to make sure that your setup is compatible with this version:
    Volkswagen RNS 510 Firmware Upgrade to version 2760 / 2762 / 2764 / 2766 / 2768 | my-gti.com
    Note for Skoda Columbus owners the test menu is not enabled in this firmware image by default, you need to edit a file before burning the disk according to these instructions:
    Accessing the Setup Menu on RNS 510 head units with firmware version 2660 / 2662 / 2664 / 2666 / 2668 | my-gti.com

2. Map DVD

3. Custom files which specify the new partition ratios to make yourself a new copy of the 276x firmware disk with new partition ratios.
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

4. SWL recovery CD (make a copy if this and have it handy in case it is required) from
    Unofficial 272x software and SWL recovery CD

Instructions

A. Create the custom firmware CD. Extract the files from the 276x ISO to your PC. You need to replace 2 files. Use the ones downloaded above in step 3.
    You need to replace the existing files with those you downloaded ie delete the originals and rename the ones you downloaded to the correct filename.

The first one is ecuorder.txt.
    This file MUST be EXACTLY 414 bytes.

Second file is HDD\HDD_20GB\RNSMIDEC\CONFIG\DlScript.txt
    There are two options here. The first is for those with 30GB or 40GB HDDs, and gives you 90% of available space for music. Use DlScript_90.txt
    This file MUST be EXACTLY 1821 bytes

Optionally for those with 40GB or larger HDDs, gives 95% to music, use DlScript_95.txt
    This file MUST be EXACTLY 1820 bytes

Burn the new CD as an ISO9660.

B. If you are running another firmware version than 276x you will first need to load the standard 276x version. If you are above this version you first need to enable firmware downgrade. Refer to the guide on how to enable test menu in step 1 above.

C. Once you are running 276x firmware, enable software downgrade from the test menu (hold down setup button for about 10 seconds until the 'secret' test menu appears. Go down to system, then enable firmware downgrade. Do not put the keys into the ignition, just insert the CD.

D. Insert your new 'custom partitions' CD. Follow the prompts and let the firmware load. System will reboot a few times.
    Once it ejects the CD and restarts into normal mode, you will need to reload your map data. Insert the navigation DVD.
    The maps will start loading automatically, takes about 15 mins. If you hit the eject button before they are copied, you will get a warning.

E. Copy some music to the HDD and enjoy the newfound space!

Note: you cannot edit the files to change the ratios as it will change the checksum of the file and the firmware CD will be rejected as not a valid SWL source.

Please let me know if there is anything that is not clear here, this is a first draft. Suggestions for improvements welcome!
    Last edited by kamold; 26-11-2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Update for new firmware
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Kamold, you sir have done it.

I followed the steps exactly as listed and it worked a treat.

Brilliant work! You've reclaimed the dead space I was missing after having gone to the version 3 beta. It's nice to be back on version 2 with the added bonus. If only we got to keep the nice new load screen.

Big thanks to you and josi for figuring it out. I'll see if the guys want this applied to their SSD units I did for them.

I'll make sure I link to this thread in my SSD swap thread.

No real suggestions for improvements. It was all really clear to me.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Glad I could return the favour for your HDD upgrade guide

As for the system start screen, stay tuned....the capability to insert a custom image file into the appropriate fragment file and save it to the internal NOR flash does exist...
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    A big thanks to johnc and kamold for this. I know that all the hard work in this thread was by kamold, but johnc did the hardwork in the companion thread.

Great work guys

This is all kamold's work right here. I don't deserve any cred for this baby.

Users Country Flag
    We have another happy customer!

Dead easy to do and good write up.

You've definitely earned your place in the forum hall of fame kamold.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    This is all kamold's work right here. I don't deserve any cred for this baby.
    Well I can give you some cred if I come past and you repartition mine?
    2015 Multivan Highline
    1969 Sunbeam Imp Sport 930cc

Users Country Flag
    I can give you a link to two ISO's to burn if you like...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Happy to do it for you if you aren't comfortable with the nerd stuff. Usual bribes accepted.

Is there anyway you can modify the files to enable this on the 3980 firmware? It has 3 partitions, Maps, POIs and Storage, so i only get like 13b spare out of 40

Also the reason i ask this is that my unit is version D, therefore cant use the 2760 firmware.
    Last edited by vk; 24-09-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast