Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Firmware updates for European RNS510 units

Users Country Flag

Firmware updates for European RNS510 units

The (semi) definative guide to firmware versions for the RNS510 in Europe

UPDATE:
    Newest Europe maps exceed the available space on 30GB HDDs with modified partition ratios.
    The links below have been updated with new firmware loads that have 60/35/5 ratios.

This is definately NOT suitable for North America.

DISCLAIMER

User accepts all responsibility for modifying their RNS510.
    Loading firmware will possibly delete your map data and music. You have been warned.
    Please read all the warnings here before continuing.

Firstly, I am not a guru. I have compiled this information from some excellent sources, namely Maverick at my-gti.com and josi from vwnavi.com. I welcome all suggestions for improvements/corrections to this guide. Don't flame me, suggest what needs changing and I will edit this guide. This is designed to help users new to firmware loads so they don't have to trawl through all the info spread across multiple forums/threads.

As of Jan 2014, there are two main current versions of firmware available for RNS510 navigation units depending on the hardware revision of the actual unit.

How do I find out what revision of hardware my RNS510 is?
    There are two methods (well three):
    1. Interrogate the unit with VCDS
    2. Use the 'secret menu' on the RNS510 to have it tell you itself
    3. Take the unit out and look at the sticker on the outside.

Refer to Accessing the Setup Menu on RNS 510 head units with firmware version 2660 / 2662 / 2664 / 2666 / 2668 | my-gti.com for how to enable the secret menu if it doesn't work by just holding down the setup button for 20 seconds.

See the following link for a list of known part numbers:
    http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...ers-69786.html

Once you know what hardware you have refer to the following for recommended firmware versions to use:

Firmware 402x modified - Link (some tables have been swapped to allow compatibility with older units. Thanks to Josi)
    1T0 035 680
    1T0 035 680A
    3T0 035 680
    1T0 035 680 B

Firmware 412x - Link

1T0 035 680 C
    1T0 035 680 D
    1T0 035 680 F
    1T0 035 680 G
    3T0 035 680 A
    3T0 035 680 B
    3T0 035 680 C
    3T0 035 680 D

For new DAB units, firmware 523x is needed, I will make this available shortly.

Some users report slightly slower performance on older units (particularly rev A units) when using 3xxx series firmware. If you find this unacceptable, remain on 27xx series firmware.

Want more space to store music? Consider replacing the hard drive with a larger Solid State drive using JohnC's excellent guide here:
    http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...diy-60984.html

Installation instructions:

1. Firstly, have your VW map DVD on hand ready to install. You will need this to reload the mapping data onto the RNS510 hard drive.

2. Download the appropriate .iso file from the links above.

3. Burn the new CD as an ISO9660 using Nero or xpcdburner etc using track at once recording.

Burn to a CD at the SLOWEST possible speed. The RNS510 units are notorious for being very picky about cd media. If your firmware load fails, its more likely than not that it just can't read the CD. Try again with a different brand of CD, try a different burner, or use a DVDR. NOTE: I have had good success with burning using xpcdburner onto TDK CDR media using Track At Once recording method.

4. Unlock the car. DO NOT put the keys in the ignition. Turn on the RNS510 and let it start up. Insert your firmware CD and follow the instructions on the screen. The unit will reboot a few times. The whole process can take an hour.

5. Insert your map DVD and load the maps. In order to use custom POIs you need map DVD version 7 or above.

6. Consider a custom load screen, see JohnC's great work here: http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...ens-67987.html

7. Load up custom POIs via the SDCard slot (for firmware 3xxx and above only):

Notes:
    All of the firmware image files have been modified to use a custom partition scheme. The default scheme wastes a lot of the usable space. The default scheme is 50/25/25.
    Custom scheme is 75/20/5 where 75% of available space is used for music, 20% for maps and 5% for custom Points of Interest.
    If you install a larger HDD, the ratios stay the same, the sizes of each partition just increase. This provides sufficient space for European map data which is much larger than the maps for Australia/NZ.

Video In Motion and 'secret' menu have been enabled in all images. Watching a DVD whilst in motion is illegal in most countries.

Refer to Unofficial 272x software and SWL recovery CD for 'recovery' firmware if the load fails and your unit becomes unresponsive.
    Last edited by kamold; 05-02-2014 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Updated link for 4120 fw
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

hey Kamold.
    can i create one working ISO for this so people will just download and burn?
    i can make that one ready and i upload to many server,
    let me know your tought,

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by jamerson View Post
    hey Kamold.
    can i create one working ISO for this so people will just download and burn?
    i can make that one ready and i upload to many server,
    let me know your tought,
    Please be my guest. I just didn't want to upload two whole new images. JohnC was kind enough to do that and create the custom partition script so upload and I will update the guide.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Please be my guest. I just didn't want to upload two whole new images. JohnC was kind enough to do that and create the custom partition script so upload and I will update the guide.
    will do,
    i am behind 120MB speed, so upload wont be issue for me,
    one more questions ,
    true the new script contain les txt than the old one?
    the new DLscript.txt will contain the next code
    nothing else!
    <br />
    <b>Warning</b>: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in <b>/srv/www/lighttpd/woofiles/includes/HTTPDownload.class.php</b> on line <b>191</b><br />
    the new script, how its going to partion the HDD?
    Map=...GB
    POI=...GB
    Music= ...GB
    Last edited by jamerson; 13-04-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamerson View Post
    will do,
    i am behind 120MB speed, so upload wont be issue for me,
    one more questions ,
    true the new script contain les txt than the old one?
    the new DLscript.txt will contain the next code
    nothing else!
    Sorry I don't understand the question.
    The only change to the Dlscript is to change the partition ratios and have a valid CRC.

what i meant, is the old DLSCRIPT.TXT file contain the next
    BOOTMODE_SWL
    SHOW_SCREEN 1 16 SWL_SCREEN_PROGRESS
    EXPECTED_TIME 20
    MULTI_VERIFY_HDD 3 3 90 2 5 2 5 0 0
    EXPECTED_TIME 40
    RUN_SHELL_SCRIPT 0 1097 /cddos/WA/DEL_OUT.WSH
    EXPECTED_TIME 100
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/parts/uvo_csCZ_01.zip 16692549 /cddos/SPEECH/UVO_CZ.ZIP
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/parts/uvo_deDE_01.zip 17841636 /cddos/SPEECH/UVO_DE.ZIP
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/parts/uvo_enGB_01.zip 15968288 /cddos/SPEECH/UVO_EN.ZIP
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/parts/uvo_enGM_01.zip 16053445 /cddos/SPEECH/UVO_EM.ZIP
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/parts/uvo_esES_01.zip 15435163 /cddos/SPEECH/UVO_ES.ZIP
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/parts/uvo_frFR_01.zip 15589376 /cddos/SPEECH/UVO_FR.ZIP
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/parts/uvo_itIT_01.zip 16004512 /cddos/SPEECH/UVO_IT.ZIP
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/parts/uvo_nlNL_01.zip 14505400 /cddos/SPEECH/UVO_NL.ZIP
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/parts/uvo_ptPT_01.zip 19592854 /cddos/SPEECH/UVO_PT.ZIP
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/parts/uvo_svSV_01.zip 15734571 /cddos/SPEECH/UVO_SV.ZIP
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/parts/uvo_trTR_01.zip 8107901 /cddos/SPEECH/UVO_TR.ZIP
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/parts/uvo_plPL_01.zip 7695466 /cddos/SPEECH/UVO_PL.ZIP
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/parts/uvo_noNO_01.zip 8618092 /cddos/SPEECH/UVO_NO.ZIP
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/parts/uvo_arAE_01.zip 2038089 /cddos/SPEECH/UVO_AR.ZIP
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/SpeechRes.xml 4580 /cddos/SPEECH/SpeechRe.xml
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/LanguagePackage_version.txt 130 /cddos/SPEECH/LangVer.txt
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/parts/sds_csCZ_01.zip 2225796 /cddos/SPEECH/SDS_CZ.ZIP
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/parts/sds_deDE_01.zip 2352556 /cddos/SPEECH/SDS_DE.ZIP
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/parts/sds_enGB_01.zip 2194270 /cddos/SPEECH/SDS_GB.ZIP
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/parts/sds_esES_01.zip 2605801 /cddos/SPEECH/SDS_ES.ZIP
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/parts/sds_frFR_01.zip 2237644 /cddos/SPEECH/SDS_FR.ZIP
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/parts/sds_itIT_01.zip 2232113 /cddos/SPEECH/SDS_IT.ZIP
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/parts/sds_nlNL_01.zip 2046050 /cddos/SPEECH/SDS_NL.ZIP
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/parts/sds_ptPT_01.zip 2137029 /cddos/SPEECH/SDS_PT.zip
    FILE_UPDATE /hdb2/speech/parts/sds_enGM_01.zip 2194270 /cddos/SPEECH/SDS_GM.ZIP
    EXPECTED_TIME 100
    FINISHED_ECU
    # by SetConfig 00009EAC
    and the new file contain the next :

<br />
    <b>Warning</b>: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in <b>/srv/www/lighttpd/woofiles/includes/HTTPDownload.class.php</b> on line <b>191</b><br />
    so my questions is the new DLSCRIPT.TXT should looks like

the new DLSCRIPT.txt file should contain just the last code? right?
    what are the partition info we will have?
    how many GB for each POI,MAP,MUSIC?

That is obviously not the correct file contents, it has been corrupted.
    It will look almost exactly the same as the one it is replacing...
    Will update with new links. Those are rubbished...
    Last edited by kamold; 13-04-2012 at 07:15 PM.

That is obviously not the correct file contents, it has been corrupted.
    It will look almost exactly the same as the one it is replacing...
    Will update with new links. Those are rubbished...
    i thought so, i am waiting for your new file,

OK new links updated in first post, sorry about that...

OK new links updated in first post, sorry about that...
    thank you mate, got the file,
    going to upload the ISO after i test it on MY RNS510,
    i will get back to you if i kill my device
    Europe 3810 you can download ready ISO
    Code:
    https://rapidshare.com/files/1195943676/ISO9660.rar
    4XXX is coming soon
    Last edited by jamerson; 13-04-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast