Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom POIs with 3xxx firmware, Aus/NZ Maps v 4.1 and POInspect0r

Users Country Flag

Custom POIs with 3xxx firmware, Aus/NZ Maps v 4.1 and POInspect0r

Yes its possible

So a 3 partition setup of the HDD (preferably using custom partition sizes) will allow you to use POInspect0r to create a DB3 file with speed cameras, school zones or whatever other point of interest you might want to add to your maps. You can also use the free Navsynch program from vwlabs to add custom destinations with your own picture to make destination selection easy.

Link to the custom firmware image (in two parts)

http://hotfile.com/dl/144215571/97c1...part1.rar.html

http://hotfile.com/dl/144248869/e4f0...part2.rar.html

This will create three partitions with the following ratios: 90% music/5% maps/5% POI. This will maximize available space for music as the default setting is 50/25/25.

Instructions:
    WARNING: make sure fw 39xx is compatible with your RNS510 prior to use. See my-gti.com for details.
    You WILL lose all your music and map data with this upgrade. It will repartition your HDD.

1. Download the file above. Extract the iso file using winrar.

2. Burn the file to a CD using Nero or similar.

3. Without the keys in the ignition, insert the cd into the RNS510. If it doesnt start loading, just eject and insert it again.

4. Follow the prompts to load the firmware update. Will take up to an hour or so.

5. Once complete, insert v4.1 map DVD and wait for it to load the maps to the HDD.

6. Download the custom categories that you want from http://www.gps-data-team.com/poi/aus...fety/index.php (subscription of $10 required) I've found the Garmin gpx file format easiest to work with.

7. Use POInspect0r from blogspot.poinspect0r.com (9Euro donation required to fully use) to create your db3 file which will be saved on an SDcard. Instructions for use at https://www.dropbox.com/s/lucuk3t63f...Guide_v1.0.pdf

8. Insert your SD card with custom PsOI created using POInspect0r.

9. Go to setup-> navigation on the RNS510

10. Select 'My Points of Interest' and select import.

11. Now go to the map screen and press the 'Extras' button.

12. Press POI Selection and choose your own PsOI

13. Enjoy
    Last edited by kamold; 30-01-2012 at 05:40 AM. Reason: New download link
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Well that explains why my custom POIs didn't survive after my attempt to upgrade from 2760 to 3970 following vraptors original thread.

I don't have a copy of v4.1 map
    MY11 Tiguan 147TSI (SOLD)

why do you need to retain 2 partitions instead of 3?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by jameshero View Post
    why do you need to retain 2 partitions instead of 3?
    Third partition is dedicated to POIs, but our crappy Aussie maps (including V4.0) are still based off the old file structures and working with FW 2XXX partitioning.
    Last edited by aussietig; 26-11-2011 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Correction to incompatible map version
    MY11 Tiguan 147TSI (SOLD)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Im also going to work on 3 partition setup, the new map has a db3 file on it which would tend to suggest that it's compatible with both families of firmware...
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Im also going to work on 3 partition setup, the new map has a db3 file on it which would tend to suggest that it's compatible with both families of firmware...
    hey karnold, are you replacing that folder (which for me only the W is a capital), or merging the folder.

the v4.1 maps and their POI's are compatible with 3xxx and 3 partitions, at least mine works... but I couldn't seem to get POInspect0r to work with the db3 file, awesome to hear you're working on it

Quote Originally Posted by vraptor View Post
    hey karnold, are you replacing that folder (which for me only the W is a capital), or merging the folder.
    doh i tried your method and now i have no pois says loading please wait haha, what to do now.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    If you get the loading please wait problem there is an issue with the custom PsOI...I'll write up a proper guide next week, sorry just too busy ATM to do it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    If you get the loading please wait problem there is an issue with the custom PsOI...I'll write up a proper guide next week, sorry just too busy ATM to do it properly.
    aah seems you cant have both custom and the vw cd at the same time :S

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast