Support VWWC

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom POIs with 3xxx firmware, Aus/NZ Maps v 4.1 and POInspect0r

Users Country Flag

Many thanks to Kamold who took some time to give me a hand getting POI's up and running in my new car!

Thanks!

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    VIM is set to enabled in the firmware image I made (as is secret menu). Though I have never tested it, I think I read somewhere it doesn't work in this firmware?? Someone can confirm or deny this.

Am happy to share the pois I use also (only all aus safety cameras puls nsw/act school zones) however I'd encourage people to learn to create their own if at all interested as its worth updating at least every few months.
    Ended up installing the following today on my C unit:
    1) your modified FW 39XX (i.e. 90% partition to music; secret menu & VIM enabled);
    2) original v4.1 map; and
    3) my customised POIs.

Very happy to confirm sweet success (even on a C unit)!

All your mods worked buddy (even VIM)! Legend!

My full blown customised POIs also were successfully imported!

One immediate improvement of FW 3XXX over FW 2XXX is in the icons and particularly OPS display!

UPDATE:
    Have noticed (after a few day's use) that my C unit is just a little bit slower in showing my position/movement on the go than before the above upgrades!

Could either be my C unit straining under FW 3xxx or just too many POIs slowing navigation performance.

But I can certainly live with this small price to pay!

For those interested, here's the link to my custom POIs:

UPDATE: FOR MY LATEST CUSTOM POIS, GO TO THIS THREAD:

Collection of POI's

NOTE: Only download this file, if you have a v4.1 map or higher (later on in the future) and running FW 3XXX.

Just save the PersonalPOI.db3 file into a new folder also called PersonalPOI on a SD card.
    Then refer to instructions (PDF file) in the first post (by Kamold) on how to upload this file from SD card onto your RNS510.

Here's a snippet of what's in it (as not possible to show all 118 categories):

Once successfully imported from SD Card onto RNS510, it will appear as a separate category called Personal and then broken into 6 sub-categories.

NOTE: The beauty of uploading POIs using the db3 format (and only made possible under FW 3XXX and the v4.1 map) is the sheer convenience of not having to re-create a new modified map disk each time. Can append new or update existing POIs very quickly using POInspect0r and import them into RNS510 via SD Card.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    Many thanks to Kamold who took some time to give me a hand getting POI's up and running in my new car!

Thanks!
    FWIW, I do believe this thread deserves to be a sticky!

Congrats to Kamold (once again) and thanks for all your help to date!

We have finally reached a point where our Aussie RNS510s have been optimised to their fullest potential (for now).

So the link in here to the latest FW, with optimised partitioning, enabled secret menu & VIM would be very useful to everyone!

And especially complements the current stickies as a complete set of RNS510 mods!
    Last edited by aussietig; 03-03-2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Link to new custom POI file
    MY11 Tiguan 147TSI (SOLD)

=D, 2 minutes before you posted

Now that we have working POIs on the RNS510 ... maybe it's time to create a dedicated POI thread/sticky for people to share their db3 files?
    I did just that, http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...ois-65443.html.

Users Country Flag
    No worries! I'll delete my comment!
    MY11 Tiguan 147TSI (SOLD)

Thanks a lot for the efforts. Just tried upgrading this morning on a version c unit. The upgrade and the maps are working fine, however an unable to load the personal poi as the option is greyed outer in the settings menu.

Any ideas what's causing that.
    2010 Golf VI GTI|Carbon Steel|DSG|MDI|18" Detroit

Option is greyed out until you insert your SD Card, perhaps you haven't placed the .db3 file in the correct folder. Easiest way is to transfer the file using POInspect0r itself, it's a menu option under tools if I remember correctly.

Users Country Flag
    Just had the same problem. It was because the .db3 file was in the root folder of the SD card.

make a directory on the root level of the SD card called 'PersonalPOI' (without the quotes). Then the option will appear on the RNS.

Just completed mine and is good. Big thanks the contributors who have helped work this out.
    2010 Candy White Golf GTI 5Dr. Manual, RNS-510, Bluetooth, Tints, GT-CX 18 Gloss Black Rims.

Quote Originally Posted by jords View Post
    Just had the same problem. It was because the .db3 file was in the root folder of the SD card.

make a directory on the root level of the SD card called 'PersonalPOI' (without the quotes). Then the option will appear on the RNS.

Just completed mine and is good. Big thanks the contributors who have helped work this out.
    Just created the root directory and all worked great. Thanks to everyone for their efforts, really appreciate it.
    2010 Golf VI GTI|Carbon Steel|DSG|MDI|18" Detroit

Users Country Flag
    This is really good stuff.

It is a pitty the V4.1 maps are Whereis 2009 Q4. in the Igo Navtec format they are up to Whereis 2011 Q3 which I have.

What we need it an enterprising smart programmer to recompile the 2011 Q3 maps into RNS510 format. Then we would all be very happy.

Chris
    The Car: MY20 Black Golf R Final Edition, 5 Door, Driver assistance package, Sun Roof.

Users Country Flag

Some good work there. Stickied for you guys.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

...and unsticked some previously sticked threads, they are now in **LOOK HERE FIRST...** sticky. Let me know here, if there is a thread that is good enough to be listed there. Just post here the link to it. And don't worry I will delete this unnecessary chat.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast