Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can i just direct swap?

can i just direct swap?

I have a 05 mkv golf. can i just direct swap a rcd510 or rns510 without any problems?or need some upgrade as well?
    Thanks
    2013 POLO GTI Black
    2005 MKV 2.0 FSI Black

Users Country Flag
    Lots of online how to's for this but you will need to do some coding with a VCDS lead. Not hard but having a proper cable helps, an ebay special probably won't work.

Gavin

Users Country Flag
    You will likely need to replace your CANbus gateway so your battery doesnt go flat.
    See

Upgrading 2nd generation headunits (RCD 300, RCD 500, MFD2) to 3rd generation headunits (RCD 210, RCD 310, RNS 310, RNS 510, RCD 510) | my-gti.com

Has all the details you need.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Thanks guys
    guess i need an auto electrician then
    2013 POLO GTI Black
    2005 MKV 2.0 FSI Black

Users Country Flag
    Not really. I swapped the CANbus gateway over in my wife's 2007 MkV Golf.
    Pain the bum to get to it up in the driver's footwell (location may not be same) however it's a straight swap over from old to new. You just need to make a note of the coding of the old one with VCDS before you start so that you can program the new one with the correct settings.
    There are plenty of people who have done it and most will work for beer (myself included)
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    What head unit do you have at the moment? And do you know the part number and revision of your CANbus gateway? (need to do a VCDS scan to find this out).

just have a rcd300 and thinking to get a rcd510. any i know nothing about car. so just need to do some research first.
    2013 POLO GTI Black
    2005 MKV 2.0 FSI Black

Users Country Flag
    Unless you get the RCD510 really cheap spend a bit more and get RNS510 which has a better screen and also plays DVDs, the RCD510 doesn't. I got my RCD510 for Tiguan for $220 which was too good not to buy it, but I would pay $400 or more for it.

Users Country Flag
    There are a couple of new ones on Ebay at the moment going for $310 from a dealer ,you'll have to ask about postage ?

Volkswagen genuine new RCD510 touch screen | eBay

With regards to the GPS antenna on the RNS510, I read that it is not necessary for newer cars with the shark fin antenna mounted. Is that true? Can anyone confirm that? I'm assuming that'll make hardware installation a direct swap (without needing to find a place to mount the GPS antenna - i.e. on top of the aircond vent)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast