Thread: Aftermarket Head Unit Options - Replace RCD-510

Users Country Flag

Aftermarket Head Unit Options - Replace RCD-510

Hi All.
    I just got a Scirocco R and love it. What I dont love is the RCD510. Its nice enough in terms of UI and responsiveness but I don't rate its sound quality, file format support and functionality is limited. Is car audio at a stage where there are units that can be dropped in and integrate with steering wheel controls, MFD and the MDI. (I think those are the right acronyms for my VW)

I would like to add an Alpine or similar head unit but do not want to take any backwards steps in terms of the integration into the vehicle.

Would love to hear if anyone knows of a viable alternative. I have viewed the ANS510 unit being promoted on this forum but it looks a bit laggy and I'm not 100% convinced.

Any advice would be great - thanks.

Users Country Flag
    So, if the ANS unit is not good, what's wrong with RNS510? It would be plugNplay and working well with your BT already in the car.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Its worth considering but from what I can gather it suffers the same limitations as the RCD510 in terms of line level outputs, file format support and functionality (example being the way it handles media)
    This chart shows the units seem to be largely similar
    Differences between the Volkswagen RCD 210, RCD 310, RNS 310, RNS 315, RCD 510, RNS 510, RCD 550, RNS 810 and the RNS 850 | my-gti.com

I really want to understand, from people in the know, if aftermarket products can achieve seamless integration with the OEM controls. Im guessing like so many things there are no standardised interfaces or protocols in use here.
    Ill go speak to a car audio store this weekend - thinking Freeway in Melbourne at this stage unless anyone knows of a standout business?

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    But beaware! The audio store could steer you towards the product that they want to sell (they have, make a good profit on, easy to install for them).

Users Country Flag
    The RCD/RNS510 can provide a 4-6v line out by using VCDS to code in the Sound amp.

You can then use a SOT lead, terminate the headunit end speaker wires with RCA leads and bobs your uncle.

For the RNS510 you also use the secret menu available with the 4020 firmware here to turn off the loundness filter (which messes up the audio a bit)

Pin 10 from the CD Changer plug can be used as a remote wire.
    Volkswagen RNS 510 pin assignments | my-gti.com

What needs to be done to get Line-out mode - setting it to Dynaudio Amp gives a nice sound
    Edit: Dynaudio doesn't seem to be low level
    Volkswagen RNS 510 coding when installing with a factory amplifier | my-gti.com

SOT Lead (Don't use the black plug to power the amp)
    ISO-SOT-8502-g for Parrot Volkswagen Fully populated | eBay

You can also set the RCD510 to different equalizer settings using VCDS too, the Skoda Superb has a really good bass to it if thats more your interest. It's worth a try because then you don't need to mess with an amp or anything if its good enough
    Last edited by readerr0r; 20-09-2012 at 05:55 PM.
    MY16 Octavia RS 162 Race Blue Combi

MY12 Skoda Octavia RS 147 Black Combi - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by readerr0r View Post
    The RCD/RNS510 can provide a 4-6v line out by using VCDS to code in the Sound amp.

You can then use a SOT lead, terminate the headunit end speaker wires with RCA leads and bobs your uncle.

For the RNS510 you also use the secret menu available with the 4020 firmware here to turn off the loundness filter (which messes up the audio a bit)

Pin 10 from the CD Changer plug can be used as a remote wire.
    Volkswagen RNS 510 pin assignments | my-gti.com

What needs to be done to get Line-out mode - setting it to Dynaudio Amp gives a nice sound
    Volkswagen RNS 510 coding when installing with a factory amplifier | my-gti.com

SOT Lead (Don't use the black plug to power the amp)
    ISO-SOT-8502-g for Parrot Volkswagen Fully populated | eBay
    That looks interesting. I wouldn't mind some decent power amps and speakers to go with my stock RCD. Anyone you could recommend in Brisbane?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DoggieHowser View Post
    That looks interesting. I wouldn't mind some decent power amps and speakers to go with my stock RCD. Anyone you could recommend in Brisbane?
    I'm DIY'ing at the moment, not sure if Northfield or others know the VW headunits enough to do it like that. They might to able to go off those instructions though.

I do some freelance VW install work, perhaps I can help with the coding and the harness and then you can get the rest done at a place of your choice? Shoot me a PM I guess
    MY16 Octavia RS 162 Race Blue Combi

MY12 Skoda Octavia RS 147 Black Combi - Sold

Users Country Flag
    Your aftermarket options are pretty straightforward IMO.

I myself and many others are happy with my product, but you are not convinced, here are the alternatives:

first the RNS-510, the next best value for the money. There is a dealer here selling them for ~$1200 and you may ebay some for ~$1k, though I would advise against buying the refurbished eBay units some coming in at ~$850. There may be ways around the audio output like readerr0r suggests but the poor media capabilities can't really be mitigated.

second, a Zenec unit which is similar to what I offer but come at ~$2k, you could say it is more stable and possibly runs faster, though at quite a premium. It will have proper media capabilities like the ANS units, and as far as I am aware it also uses the iGo Primo mapping system which runs circles around the RNS OEM map.

third, Alpine or Pioneer units, but with PROPER CAN-Bus integration - these ones typically also cost around $2k, for example the Pioneer AVIC-F9310BT. Don't buy the $700ish solutions, they are simply not worth the money considering the alternatives you have. Those units are generic fit with interfaces that look about as pretty as $300 Chinese cheapie head units. They will not read your CAN-Bus, nor integrate with MFD, nor be compatible with steering wheel controls out of the box, if not at all. Beware the audio store will typically recommend these units to you - your loss if this is what you blow $700 on.

Also I have to mention that short of buying a TomTom handheld GPS separately or using your phone's Google Maps, there is simply no match for the iGo Primo maps out there right now for your car head unit. Not RNS-510, and not Alpine or Pioneer by a long shot. Decision is yours in the end, depends on what is more valuable to you.
    Last edited by DkN; 14-09-2012 at 01:37 PM.
    TR 08 Golf GT TDI, Custom Code Phase 1, Milltek Exhaust, Whiteline RSB + ALK, APR Carbonio Intake

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the replies guys. I was completely unaware of those methods to gain line level outputs and other 'tweaks'. I will keep them in mind.

DKN - I have read the entire thread about the ANS unit and it does look good but I saw a number of things in the video that made me frustrated just watching, let alone using it. Apologies if I cast a negative impression, I would just really need to see and use it to be convinced. By nature I always give smaller, independent or open source solutions a go ahead of closed proprietary products, but with that does come an element of risk. In my new $50k car I guess I want to be 100% sure what my experience will be. Going with Alpine or similar means I can try before I buy, at least for UI and responsiveness. I was looking at the Alpine INA-W910RC with HCE-C117D. I will view it tomorrow. Mightcheck out the Pioneer also.

Your post is most helpful. Thanks. Im going to re-read the thread and watch vids again tonight, would love to save some $$$ on the Headunit and put it to the remainder of the system.

Cheers

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by shimee View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. I was completely unaware of those methods to gain line level outputs and other 'tweaks'. I will keep them in mind.

DKN - I have read the entire thread about the ANS unit and it does look good but I saw a number of things in the video that made me frustrated just watching, let alone using it. Apologies if I cast a negative impression, I would just really need to see and use it to be convinced. By nature I always give smaller, independent or open source solutions a go ahead of closed proprietary products, but with that does come an element of risk. In my new $50k car I guess I want to be 100% sure what my experience will be. Going with Alpine or similar means I can try before I buy, at least for UI and responsiveness. I was looking at the Alpine INA-W910RC with HCE-C117D. I will view it tomorrow. Mightcheck out the Pioneer also.

Your post is most helpful. Thanks. Im going to re-read the thread and watch vids again tonight, would love to save some $$$ on the Headunit and put it to the remainder of the system.

Cheers
    Not a problem, I admit the ANS series is not yet a fully mature product, but the good thing about it is that there is a direct line of communication through me to the manufacturer so things can be fixed and improved based on customer feedback. At this stage there are only some minor issues left, all of which can be fixed and improved in coming firmware. Of course this means it's not for everyone, many people love it but some may find the small things frustrate them enough at this stage to put them off.

If you're watching the videos though, do take note that the second video in my thread is not mine and it's a rather early version of the unit, some things software wise may have changed / improved.
    Last edited by DkN; 14-09-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    TR 08 Golf GT TDI, Custom Code Phase 1, Milltek Exhaust, Whiteline RSB + ALK, APR Carbonio Intake