Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top up oil?

Users Country Flag

Top up oil?

so just been to the vw dealer to top up the oil in the scirocco just over 5000km now.
    the mechanic told me not to top up the oil until the light comes on and if so just swing by as they use special run in oil.

Users Country Flag
    Never heard of special run in oil?????

If you want to top it up, go to the parts department and buy the spec of oil that is relevant and top it up.
    IMO I would never wait for the light to tell me when my oil is due for a top up, as its usually very low.
    - Ben

1961 Karmann Ghia Coupé - 1993 Golf Cabriolet - 2006 Golf Comfortline 1.9L TDI
    2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    yeah i dont know what they are on about i would never starve the engine of oil
    they wont tell me the specific oil but apparently vw dealers use castrol,been reading up on it and its CASTROL EDGE PROFESSIONAL LONGLIFE III 5W-30

Users Country Flag
    As long as it meets 507 specs it is Ok Lots use Penrite

Read this Volkswagen Oil Standards – lists of all approved oils – Skoda – Audi – Seat | my-gti.com

Users Country Flag
    There is a certain truth to the old Mineral versus Synthetic oil for run in periods but not really relevant anymore to modern engines.

As long as the level is above minimum, all good. The max level is just that - max. There is actually not much between min and max really.

Quote Originally Posted by RRRRIT View Post
    the mechanic told me not to top up the oil until the light comes on and if so just swing by as they use special run in oil.
    There's been a ton of speculation about this mythical run-in oil as fitted at the factory, but no-one has been able to verify it exists as yet. Quite a few mechanics suspect it's just a standard synthetic oil that meets VW's specs. Take a look at this thread:

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...nes-47140.html
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by RRRRIT View Post
    so just been to the vw dealer to top up the oil in the scirocco just over 5000km now.
    That's just plain wrong and should be disregarded. The right oil level is important.

I've replaced the factory oil in all our cars at around 1000km and I can't see any ill affect. None of our engines requires topping up between the oil changes (7,500km/6months). All I can think of is; that the factory oil has some extra additives to combat the moisture, either from the sea air or when moved in the transport (condensation, after been started just to move a few meters).

If there were any special additives to help the engine run in, then they don't do a very good job, do they? Since we see too many new car's engines with the excessive oil consumption and other issues, right from the start.

don't mean to sound like a smart ass or anything here... and don't take offense... but isn't the "right oil level" anything between when the low level light comes on and "full"??
    1974 1300 Beetle, 1997 Golf GL, 2003 New Beetle Cabrio, 2014 Audi A4 quattro

Users Country Flag
    Well I would NEVER run a car till the light comes on. Sometimes that can be accompanied by heat and smoke and pain in the pocket.

A prudent owner would check their oil level regularly depending on kms covered each week.

When travelling full time I checked oil, water, batteries and tyres EVERY MORNING. Towbar bolts once a week. Van brakes and bearings for heat every morning after running for 20 mins.

Never had any problems but if I did I would have caught it in time.

Even now when I have only done 9000km in 15 months I check it every week on both my Vw's.

If you never bother you deserve whatever goes wrong.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 17-09-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by blutopless2 View Post
    don't mean to sound like a smart ass or anything here... and don't take offense... but isn't the "right oil level" anything between when the low level light comes on and "full"??
    No offense taken. The purpose of the engine oil light is not to indicate the driver that you need to top up the oil.
    The engine oil also cools the engine, so having the low level means less oil to cool the engine down, less antiwear and antifoaming additives, less cleaning and anticorosion addives. Driving constantly with less oil shortens the oil's life which affects the engine as well.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast