Support VWWC

Thread: Importing L/H drive cars

Users Country Flag

Importing L/H drive cars

As above lads,what would it cost me to import a 1989 L/H drive car and register,tax it. Have any of you done this lately.

Only state you can legally license a LHD car is Western Australia. So If thats where your moving to then its not a prob...
    Lots of MK 1 Scirocco's...

If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor car ??

Cheers,
    Grant...

Users Country Flag
    I know at least three people in NSW whose daily drives are LHD.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the old "you can only register LHD cars in West Australia" is a couple of decades out of date.

From memory, if the car is > 30 years old, it can be registered in most states in LHD configuration.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Yeah you'll only be able to register it in Perth/Western Australia. Also, if it's a 1989, you'll have to of owned the car for a a min of 12 months overseas, and been in the same country as the car in that time (they check every page of your passport). I migrated here from the UK in 2005 and brought a Corrado over with me, i'd allow about $4-5000AUD to get it on the road over here, could end up costing less.
    Have a look at the karman shipping website, it explains how it all works and has links to government sites for all the info you need.

Also from memory, i think you can get a permit of some kind that allows you to drive a LHD for limited kms per year, for going to shows etc....

I take it you're bringing a Rallye??

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks oem g60,thats the info i was looking for ill check out that Website later. I could switch it over to r/h, i have no isues with that.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    They certainly know there stuff,i like that theyll put it in its own 20' container. I will convert it to r/h also,may aswell find a digi fiz speedo while im at it to.

Make sure you source as much as you can local before shipping, It'll save you heaps in the long run .
    Lots of MK 1 Scirocco's...

If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor car ??

Cheers,
    Grant...