Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you can guess the month another person bought their Golf?

Can you can guess the month another person bought their Golf?

Imagine someone unknown to you drove up in their Mark V Golf and said "I'll offer you odds of 10:1 that you cannot guess the month in which I took delivery of my Golf."

Even though your chances of picking the right month are only 1/12 (the year is not required), you guess May.

The person then says, let me tell you 10 of the months in which I did not take delivery of my car.

He then tells you every month of the year except August and May.

You now know the car was delivered in either August or May.

He then asks, "Would you like to stick with your original choice of May or switch to August?"

A group of onlookers has gathered.

People are yelling advice.

One, named Buller_Rock_v, is particularly vocal and says: "Stick with your initial choice! There are only two possible months now and only two choices; you have a 50/50 chance of winning now. You'll kick yourself if you switch and are wrong!"

Another person, Hawkie, says, "There was a 11/12 chance of you picking the wrong month in the first place. This has not changed now that you know 10 of the months that are wrong. There is an 11/12 chance that if you switch you will win, even though to some it looks like a choice between just two dates and a 50/50 chance!"

You hesitate.

There are only two options now. With only two months to choose from, it looks like 50/50.

But is it?

What would you do?
    Last edited by Dubya; 30-06-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Users Country Flag
    check the rego label, cars should be delivered within 7 days of being registered
    Euro Revolution - eurorevolution@live.com.au
    Importing Quality Performance and Spare parts for Audi & Watercooled VW's
    New website almost up and running ... http://eurorevolution.webs.com/index.htm
    Courtney

Users Country Flag
    havent we already been through this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Preen59 View Post
    It doesn't matter what car you drive.. If you're a complete wanker.. People still won't want to talk to you..

Not this again, does my head in after a full on day at work...
    Couldnt it be posted on the other threads? or does everyone else enjoy it that much...

Users Country Flag
    This was done to death before.
    with the 3 doors to win a GTI Monty Hall Dilema.

In the end, you cannot consider the original chance of winning as the variables have changed and you can make an educated decision.
    Sure, you could choose one of the months that they have already discounted but why would you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya View Post
    Imagine someone unknown to you drove up in their Mark V Golf and said "I'll offer you odds of 10:1 that you cannot guess the month in which I took delivery of my Golf."

Even though your chances of picking the right month are only 1/12 (the year is not required), you guess May.

The person then says, let me tell you 10 of the months in which I did not take delivery of my car.

He then tells you every month of the year except August and May.

You now know the car was delivered in either August or May.

He then asks, "Would you like to stick with your original choice of May or switch to August?"

A group of onlookers has gathered.

People are yelling advice.

One, named Buller_Rock_v, is particularly vocal and says: "Stick with your initial choice! There are only two possible months now and only two choices; you have a 50/50 chance of winning now. You'll kick yourself if you switch and are wrong!"

Another person, Hawkie, says, "There was a 11/12 chance of you picking the wrong month in the first place. This has not changed now that you know 10 of the months that are wrong. There is a 11/12 chance that if you switch you will win, even though to some it looks like a choice between just two dates and a 50/50 change!"

You hesitate.

There are only two options now. With only two months to choose from, it looks like 50/50.

But is it?

What would you do?
    The answer is you should switch. Yes, it is the Mont Hall dilemma but the issue is that our logic tells us its a 50:50 chance while maths tells us that this is not actually true. Its one of those cases where our understanding of the world is wrong but we find it hard to understand how it could be. Like an optical illusion.

In fact you have 11 times the chance of getting it right by switching.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by PassatB6 View Post
    In fact you have 11 times the chance of getting it right by switching.
    You have a better chance of getting it right by switching if you still include the other months that have already been discounted as an option to choose.
    However you already know they are wrong so your choice is down to 2 so the odds for a normal person are 50:50 but the odds for a person who doesn't care about winning and considers the other doors as a valid option are 11:12

Quote Originally Posted by team_v View Post
    You have a better chance of getting it right by switching if you still include the other months that have already been discounted as an option to choose.
    However you already know they are wrong so your choice is down to 2 so the odds for a normal person are 50:50 but the odds for a person who doesn't care about winning and considers the other doors as a valid option are 11:12
    Glad to see you now see the merits of switching after proclaiming no benefit in switching in the Monty Hall game because you believed the odds were 50:50 no matter which of the remaining two closed doors you chose.

But now you say the odds would be 50:50 for a "normal person" and 11:12 for someone who "doesn't care about winning".

Somehow the characteristics of the person affect their odds?

Wouldn't the probability of guessing right be 1/12 if one stuck with the original choice and 11/12 if one switched?

Just like they are 1/3 (for the initial choice) and 2/3 (for the only remaining choice) in the MH game?

Users Country Flag
    Rego plates normally help. E.g. we're up to ###R** atm and say the car was delivered around last Semptember/October, it'd have ###L**. I mean, that's if it hasn't been reregistered.
    2002 Volkswagen Bora V5 - 2007 Mazda 3 GT - 1998 Ford Contour Sport - 2010 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T - 2013 Volkswagen Passat 130TDI - 2015 Ford Escape 1.5 - 2016 Subaru WRX - 2018 Volkswagen Golf R Wolfsburg Wagon

Hehe "I hate it when people put words in my mouth"...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast