Support VWWC

Thread: Diesel Pump Governor Mod

Diesel Pump Governor Mod

Ok I know some of you Mk1 dieselers were interested in the Govener Mod to make more power from your stock pumps... Well here it is.

A few things to do before you rip into your pump...

Thoroughly clean the out side of the pump, you don't want to have any dirt making its way inside.

If possible order a pump gasket kit so you can seal up the pump properly again. I opened mine a few times as i was playing with the amount of washers inside to get a good amount of power. And it leaked quite a bit from the o ring on the throttle shaft.

Take some pictures so you can put it all back together paying attention to the mark on top of the throttle shaft and the throttle leaver. This must be re-aligned so that your idle is not effected.

When removing the c clip to remove the Governor, place something to catch it so it doesn't fall into your pump. The first time i did this the clip fell into the pump... I was lucky enough to be able to fish it out with a magnetic screw driver... you might not be so lucky and would most likely have to remove the whole pump to get the clip out.

When driving pay attention to your red dots on your speedo... The Governor mod will allow you to rev much higher than stock and there is a potability that you could rev over 6000+ rpm. you wont be making power up here but you possibly will be able to reach these rpm...

I didn't play with the smoke screw at all and still got more power... i didn't want to make it smoke anymore than it does so i left it alone.

DO THIS MOD AT YOUR OWN RISK... There is the potential to kill your engine if you don't know the rpm you are pushing...

Enjoy

Mark
    1980 GLD
    1979 300D Mercedes
    1980 300TD Mercedes
    1956 Desoto Panel Van... Maybe to comeback to life as a diesel???

Cheers for that, Mark.

What sort of power increase can be expected? I might have a crack at this on the weekend while I investigate why my engine is still surging @ a particular RPM...

And on that note... Does anyone have an exploded diagram of the Bosch 1.5 pump?
    Last edited by Preen59; 12-07-2011 at 01:40 AM.

APR Tuned | KW Suspension | INA Engineering | Mocal Oil Control |
    Email: chris@tprengineering.com

Quote Originally Posted by Preen59 View Post

What sort of power increase can be expected?
    Its very dependant on how well the engine breathes, but the stock engine makes 50hp at 5000rpm at the fly if everyhting is working properly, and i think you would see up to 60hp at the fly if you put enough shims in, at 5000rpm. You probably wont gain any torque below about 3500rpm though because it shouldnt affect the fuelling there.

i think i have exploded diagrams on my home pc....
    Last edited by gldgti; 12-07-2011 at 05:59 PM.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

will look at doing this next service i think.. thanks mark!!
    Driving the coal. Low and rattly.

Did the governor mod this arvo. Haven't tested it out properly yet, but will report back. Still has the surging issue which I need to sort out.

APR Tuned | KW Suspension | INA Engineering | Mocal Oil Control |
    Email: chris@tprengineering.com