Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member - Passat options

New member - Passat options

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but really appreciating all the info here- a wonderful site with some very knowledgable people. I'm returning to VW (prior air-cooled and Golf nut) after straying the last few years, as the new passat has really taken me. But just have a few questions that hoping someone might be able to help with.

I'm looking at a TDI sedan but trying to find seating options and prices before I go in and start the 'negotiations'. The seats are one thing that I don't particularly like- they seem very flat and not all that comfortable with little side support should I want to get enthusiastic around the corners. Is there any option for seats? I'd also like to get the light interior, but not the seats, does anyone know if that's possible? i.e. black seats, light interior.

I've been looking around this site a bit and also noticed a lot of talk about chipping VWs. Is this possible on the Passat TDI and would it be available in Sth EAst Quuensland anywhere and roughly what would it cost and the gains that it would make (worth doing?).

Lastly, (I know this is not an option) but I'd really like flappy paddles! The GTD and GTi's etc have them, and hoping (like most things VAG) that they might be a simple swap, if I could source one that is. Does anyone know if this would be possible or if it's been done before on any other models? (I did read a romour that they were bringing out a 'sport' version of the passat that would probably have them, but that's also probably a long way off).

Sorry for all the questions.
    Thanks for any help.
    cheers - Max

According to the MY12 changes listed at my-gti.com - Volkswagen Australia Passenger Vehicle Model Year 2012 (MY12) Changes | my-gti.com - there's a sports package available for MY12 Highline models which does have more supportive seats. See the link above for a picture as well. It also includes the gear shift paddles on the steering wheel. Sounds like it's just the thing you're after.

Impossible for any interior color change. Black with black, beige seat with light gray roof and black carpet. I tried to order beige with beige carpet (which is available in Germany), the dealer won't do it. So you gotta go aftermarket, which can be costly, and waste your perfect good factory fitted nappa leather, and lower resale value.

I heard about chipping too. Beware you may lose your warranty. For a VW? I won't risk losing warranty. It will be costly to repair, and you will have a high chance of repairing your passat.

Users Country Flag
    Hi Max,

I am assuming you are talking about the pre Highline versions of the TDI? (around mid 2009 onwards???)

I used to have a 2008 2.0T FSI with memory seats and yes, the seats were very flat with no side bolsters.

The seats in my Highline with Nappa leather are fantastic! Plenty of side support!
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

went through this seat issue and the VW dealer gave me demo for 24 hours. I was shocked how comfortable the standard seats are.

As for chipping I say no. You cant hide it and it means no warranty

Quote Originally Posted by maxim View Post
    Lastly, (I know this is not an option) but I'd really like flappy paddles! The GTD and GTi's etc have them, and hoping (like most things VAG) that they might be a simple swap, if I could source one that is. Does anyone know if this would be possible or if it's been done before on any other models? (I did read a romour that they were bringing out a 'sport' version of the passat that would probably have them, but that's also probably a long way off).

Sorry for all the questions.
    Thanks for any help.
    cheers - Max
    My car had a steering wheel with paddles swapped into it after a mistake in the yard (never quite told why, and it was nearly 3 years ago, but I think somehow a manual car was delivered with paddles on the wheel). They work fine - just needed to be activated.

As for the chipping - I wouldn't. I'd wait for the warranty to expire first, since it's likely to be one of the most used parts of the car... (sorry if my cynicism is showing through.. but I reckon the warranty repair bill for my car would be over $10K).
    MY08 Passat 2.0 TDI Wagon
    Trialling golf ball aerodynamics theory - random pattern, administered about 1550 on Christmas Day, 2011.

Thanks for all the replys everyone. Really appreciate your comments.

I'm looking at brand new Passat TDI Highline (2012 model). The sports pack option might be just the ticket - but I bet any money there isn't one in the country - so another 6 month wait if I really want that, but it does tick all my boxes - thanks dopey that was great info!

So no chipping (looking at one of the companies and doesn't seem huge improvement, not compared to what they get from the TSI engines anyway - that's crazy).

VAG newbie, when you said: "It will be costly to repair, and you will have a high chance of repairing your passat", do you mean that because it is a Passat that there is a big chance of having it break down and needing repairs, or do you mean if it's chipped then there is a high chance of having to have repairs?

So looks like either wait for the sports pack (I hate waiting), or put up with the seats and buy now. Are there any must have options that you can recommend?

What do you guys think about the resale of the passat? I'm assuming not as good as Golf, but hopefully better than Audi A4.

Users Country Flag
    Howdie

I have just ordered the sport pack on a v6, just found out it kills my kiddie booster seats...

Wacky Mobile: 2011 VW Passat B7 Facelift: New Gallery with 50+ Photos

"I think" The sport interior is the one between the dude loading luggage in the black of the blue wagon, and the view of the luggage in the back of the wagon…

"I think" The standard interior is the one three pictures from the top along the right hand edge.

I am more than happy to be corrected BTW!

Hope that helps.... I am intending to take a v6 CC early next week for a spin in order to find out if the Sports pack ( i presume they share the seats and paddles) is more important that the booster seats me thinks I already know the answer to that! but any excuse to unleash 220kw is worth taking!

Cheers

John

Having a Gap Year!!!!
    what next?... what next?

Quote Originally Posted by maxim View Post
    Thanks for all the replys everyone. Really appreciate your comments.

I'm looking at brand new Passat TDI Highline (2012 model). The sports pack option might be just the ticket - but I bet any money there isn't one in the country - so another 6 month wait if I really want that, but it does tick all my boxes - thanks dopey that was great info!

So no chipping (looking at one of the companies and doesn't seem huge improvement, not compared to what they get from the TSI engines anyway - that's crazy).

VAG newbie, when you said: "It will be costly to repair, and you will have a high chance of repairing your passat", do you mean that because it is a Passat that there is a big chance of having it break down and needing repairs, or do you mean if it's chipped then there is a high chance of having to have repairs?

So looks like either wait for the sports pack (I hate waiting), or put up with the seats and buy now. Are there any must have options that you can recommend?

What do you guys think about the resale of the passat? I'm assuming not as good as Golf, but hopefully better than Audi A4.
    I never owned a Passat myself. I actually ordered one recently. After I put the deposit in and started a bit of online search, then I read a lot of horror stories about owning a VW (including many in this forum) That really scared me.

One common problem is the electronic hand brake. In this forum, someone has theirs broken at 10months only, and the car is stuck (imagine if you can't release the hand break, how can you drive?) The other common problem is the DSG. I even heard one 125TDI Passat wagon's engine died after only 3 years and 60,000km and require a new engine costing almost $10,000! That car was fully maintained!

For more VW horror stories, please see My VW Jetta GLS VR6 sucks!. It gave me a few sleepless nights after putting the deposit and signing the contract for the Passat.

Apparently VW including German made Passat has a lot of reliability issue, with chipping or not. I might be wrong, please correct me if I am wrong as I never owned a VW before.

To cover myself, I requested in my contract that if the car will undergo any warranty repair, the dealer will provide me a free loan car to use. I was ready to send the car back few times during warranty period. So I won't risk losing warranty.

Anyway, my contract crashed because VW can't give me a reverse camera. I decided to go with the Skoda Superb, which apparently has better reliability, but even that I'm buying extended warranty.

I think Passat's resale is as good, if not better than the A4, according to both redbook and glass guide. One of the reason I chose Passat initially.

Interesting that the skoda has better reliability given that it has VW mechanicals and pretty much based on the Passat from what I know:

2011 Skoda Superb. If you are thinking the Czech wagon is a close competitor for its virtual stablemate, the VW Passat wagon, you'd be pretty right. There is a lot of Passat in there, including the basic engine/transmission combinations and drive systems. For both Superb and Passat, the 1.8-litre 118kW TSI four-cylinder is the base engine, followed by the 2.0-litre 125kW TDI and, at the top of the range, the all-wheel drive, 191kW FSI petrol V6. The petrol four-cylinder hooks up to the corporate seven-speed DSG transmission, while the diesel and the petrol V6 drive through a six-speed DSG.

I think the reason that there might seem fewer problems is that there are very few of them on the road compared to VW's. I don't get too carried away with forum stories of doom. If I did, I'd never buy any car - for example, have a look through Toyota or Ford forums for problems, even Honda forums have horror stories about gearboxes blowing up (especially). Not saying that VW don't have their share of problems, but don't think they're any worse than any other maker. But you'll find it all in the forums. Just for fun, from a Honda lemon site: "You aren’t alone. If you think this model year had problems, let's take a look at another recent year. For its 2005 model year vehicles, Honda has sent its dealers at least 152 repair bulletins (called “Technical Service Bulletins), telling Honda dealers how to try to fix problems in the 2005 Honda Accord (44 repair bulletins on this model alone), Civic, CRV, Element, Odyssey (63 bulletins here), Pilot (another 41 bulletins here), and S2000.

When you look at the Honda 2004 model year vehicles, it doesn’t get any better.

For its 2004 Honda model year vehicles, Honda sent out at least 630 repair bulletins, on how to fix problems in the 2004 Accord (178 repair bulletins), Civic, Element, Insight, Odyssey, Pilot (147 repair bulletins), and S2000.

And these numbers don’t include Safety Recalls or any possible investigations for safety defects. It’s no wonder some people think they’ve got a lemon Honda.
    "
    Last edited by maxim; 10-07-2011 at 10:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast