Definitive Car

Thread: Windscreen Washer Fluid's Effect On Paint Protection

Rosie Guest

Windscreen Washer Fluid's Effect On Paint Protection

Bought a new car with metallic paint. I'm washing it with a ph neutral wash, have applied Duragloss bonding agent, polish, and use Fast Clean & Shine (might try Aquawax next time, just to see the difference). After going to the time, effort, and expense to apply these products I'm curious to know the effect, if any, of the window washer concentrate (containing ammonia) on the protections I've applied. I haven't noticed any visible problems, but after using ph neutral products I don't see the logic in then spraying water containing acidic ammonia all over the place, or am I being concerned over nothing?

Do I even need to be thinking of alternatives? If so, what are the options? I don't have to worry about sub-zero temps, so do I go for a nano technology glass sealant, and just run water in the washer bottle? The only issue I'd then have is the effectiveness of just water and wipers in getting smeared insects off the glass on country trips. Interested to hear some views.

Generally, the best thing I have found to use is a tiny amount of the same stuff you wash the car with because you know it won't strip the surface protection off the paint. Ammonia is a pretty heavy duty cleaner, even in small amounts......

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    The only issue I'd then have is the effectiveness of just water and wipers in getting smeared insects off the glass on country trips. Interested to hear some views.
    Car Care Products / 303 Products / Interior / Glass / Windscreen Washer Tablets

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    Do I even need to be thinking of alternatives? If so, what are the options? I don't have to worry about sub-zero temps, so do I go for a nano technology glass sealant, and just run water in the washer bottle? The only issue I'd then have is the effectiveness of just water and wipers in getting smeared insects off the glass on country trips. Interested to hear some views.
    Just use the Volkswagen Windscreen Clear Concentrate, it's designed to keep the microjets unblocked, has a nice smell, is reasonably prices and won't harm any of the plastics or the paint.

Volkswagen Windscreen Clear Concentrate | my-gti.com

Rosie Guest
    Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought to use the wash gavs, but I'll most likely go with the tablets as recommended by GplusH_R. I looked at the 303 website, and they seem to tick all of the boxes.

I imagine that the Volkswagen Windscreen Clear Concentrate is what's in the bottle now. The car is so new I haven't had to refill the washers yet since picking it up from the dealer, so I haven't been able to read the contents on a bottle of the VW product, or been able to find an MSDS for it, but even if ammonia free, if it can be used straight at -70C without freezing then it has to be about 10% alcohol in some form, which while harmless to plastics and paint, can't be friendly towards polish or wax.

Users Country Flag
    At first when I read this thread I though, what is this guy on about.

But after looking outside at my cars I can now see the sense in the above madness.

I have a new Mitsubishi Lancer as a work car in Grey.
    Doesn't get the same treatment as the Passat (washing / detailing etc.).

I have now noticed that the bonnet has two triangle stains on the paint work coming from the washer jets on the bonnet of the Lancer.
    I am using Trico washer additive in the Lancer. So yes, it is staining the paintwork.

As for the Passat I only use OEM VW Windscreen Clear Concentrate (frost protection to -70degrees) (in conjunction with the heated fan washer jets in the Passat) Part No. G 052 164 M2.

Although the washer jets are under the bonnet in the Passat (not on top like the Lancer) I do not find any issues on the paintwork, or lose of wax / protection on the paint surface.

I hope the above all makes sense...
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag

There are two things you have to be careful of.

The first is using something that will chemically attack any protection system you may have.

The second is to avoid things that lower the surface tension of the water AND that have some further effect on the paint or metal.

When using washes, they must be pH neutral, PARTICULARLY if you spray it on with a pressure cleaner. These liquids generally lower the surface tension of the water and the pressure cleaner will force the liquid into gaps and seams that even normal water under pressure cannot go. As a result, the liquid that cannot get out will start the corrosion process.

As a general rule, big name windscreen washer additives should be safe, however you have to be careful because they can deteriorate with age. Many products should have a use by date as what starts of pH neutral can either become acidic or caustic with time.