Thread: 9WZ premium bluetooth install

9WZ premium bluetooth install

Hi guys,

For anybody that's thinking of installing one of these into a Superb, I have just done it. Took approx 2 hrs and was mostly straight forward using various installation instructions available on the net, but a few things were a little different to all the Golf / Jetta / Passat / Polo installs I found.

- When removing / working with the Columbus my factory harness and antenna cables were VERY short, only just allowing me to get fingertips to them to release the locking clips. Not easy when you have sausage-fingers...

- There isn't as much room behind the Columbus headunit as I thought there would be so keeping the Quadlock extension out of the way to allow the Columbus back into the hole was interesting.

- Routing the harness under the steering wheel, down from the fuse panel and along the drivers door-sill was fine, but getting under the carpet to the precut hole beneath the drivers seat was tricky. The VW's don't have the B-Pillar air outlet like the Superb does and the ducting for that runs under the carpet right across the front of the seat. This made it very frustrating getting the harness under it without undoing the seat mounts (for which I didn't have the correct 12-point bit). I ended up using blue fibreglass packing tape as a guide and pulling it through with that.

The module coding I used was '020000010100010000000400', broken down as follows (with thanks to Maverick's my-gti website):

Byte 0: 02 - English Language
    Byte 1: 00 - Voice Command Activated
    Byte 2: 00 - VW Microphone (The harness had the wire bridge already installed for using the RNS-510/Columbus mic)
    Byte 3: 01 - Antenna error diagnosis inactive (default code 00 created error prior to me making it inactive)
    Byte 4: 01 - Baseplate error diagnosis inactive (default code 00 created error prior to me making it inactive)
    Byte 5: 00 - Mute cooperating with soundsystem active (i.e. music/radio mutes when making or taking call)
    Byte 6: 01 - Three key overhead console control unit inactive (not fitted to Superb) / SMS possible (default code 00 created error)
    Byte 7: 00 - Multimedia function active for BT Audio and Multimedia
    Byte 8: 00 - Type of registration of mobile phone = Supporting THB (this is default and it worked)
    Byte 9: 00 - Function call for help = people with disabilities (again, this is default and it worked)
    Byte 10: 04 - Fuel Type = Diesel
    Byte 11: 00 - Vehicle type = M1 (another default that works... not sure what this is either)

I'm not sure what all of these mean (Bytes 8, 9 and 11 mainly) but this string doesn't return any errors and the unit works perfectly. Also, when adjusting the coding don't forget to change the workshop, importer and equipment numbers from 00000, I copied the values from the 'Navigation' module and it worked fine.

Apologies for not taking any pictures but I was in a hurry and I figured there were enough around to get a pretty good idea on how it all happens.

If anybody wants any more info or has questions let me know.

Cheers,

C.

Moderators: I realise this post may be better suited in the 'Audio and Electronics' section but it's aimed at Superb owners so I posted here. If you want to move that's fine.
    2008 VW Golf V - GT Sport TDI
    2010 Skoda Superb Wagon - Elegance TDI

Users Country Flag

9WZ

Quote Originally Posted by thejack72 View Post
    Hi guys,

For anybody that's thinking of installing one of these into a Superb, I have just done it. Took approx 2 hrs and was mostly straight forward using various installation instructions available on the net, but a few things were a little different to all the Golf / Jetta / Passat / Polo installs I found.

- When removing / working with the Columbus my factory harness and antenna cables were VERY short, only just allowing me to get fingertips to them to release the locking clips. Not easy when you have sausage-fingers...

- There isn't as much room behind the Columbus headunit as I thought there would be so keeping the Quadlock extension out of the way to allow the Columbus back into the hole was interesting.

- Routing the harness under the steering wheel, down from the fuse panel and along the drivers door-sill was fine, but getting under the carpet to the precut hole beneath the drivers seat was tricky. The VW's don't have the B-Pillar air outlet like the Superb does and the ducting for that runs under the carpet right across the front of the seat. This made it very frustrating getting the harness under it without undoing the seat mounts (for which I didn't have the correct 12-point bit). I ended up using blue fibreglass packing tape as a guide and pulling it through with that.

The module coding I used was '020000010100010000000400', broken down as follows (with thanks to Maverick's my-gti website):

Byte 0: 02 - English Language
    Byte 1: 00 - Voice Command Activated
    Byte 2: 00 - VW Microphone (The harness had the wire bridge already installed for using the RNS-510/Columbus mic)
    Byte 3: 01 - Antenna error diagnosis inactive (default code 00 created error prior to me making it inactive)
    Byte 4: 01 - Baseplate error diagnosis inactive (default code 00 created error prior to me making it inactive)
    Byte 5: 00 - Mute cooperating with soundsystem active (i.e. music/radio mutes when making or taking call)
    Byte 6: 01 - Three key overhead console control unit inactive (not fitted to Superb) / SMS possible (default code 00 created error)
    Byte 7: 00 - Multimedia function active for BT Audio and Multimedia
    Byte 8: 00 - Type of registration of mobile phone = Supporting THB (this is default and it worked)
    Byte 9: 00 - Function call for help = people with disabilities (again, this is default and it worked)
    Byte 10: 04 - Fuel Type = Diesel
    Byte 11: 00 - Vehicle type = M1 (another default that works... not sure what this is either)

I'm not sure what all of these mean (Bytes 8, 9 and 11 mainly) but this string doesn't return any errors and the unit works perfectly. Also, when adjusting the coding don't forget to change the workshop, importer and equipment numbers from 00000, I copied the values from the 'Navigation' module and it worked fine.

Apologies for not taking any pictures but I was in a hurry and I figured there were enough around to get a pretty good idea on how it all happens.

If anybody wants any more info or has questions let me know.

Cheers,

C.

Moderators: I realise this post may be better suited in the 'Audio and Electronics' section but it's aimed at Superb owners so I posted here. If you want to move that's fine.
    Not sure if you saw my post but is the one I mention the same as you fitted?
    Sounds cheap enuf currently on eBay?
    Any more info or advice?

Users Country Flag
    I don't know how the Superb dash differ from Octavia, but I also noticed when installing the BT into Octavia I had to route the BT wiring harnes left from the radio, which was the only way to fit the Columbus fully back in.

Thread can stay here, since there are many threads that are similar to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by phillawed View Post
    Not sure if you saw my post but is the one I mention the same as you fitted?
    Sounds cheap enuf currently on eBay? Any more info or advice?
    Yeah, just had a look. You're looking at the 3C8 035 730 B unit, I fitted the 5N0 035 730 D unit. Both were listed as 9WZ so go figure. I can't imagine they're much different, if anything it's probably a later model. I bought mine from the Spanish Guy and if it's the current listing (Bluetooth VW RNS 510 9WZ Premium 2011-2012 !!! 3C8 035 730 B | eBay), it looks identical to the unit I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    I don't know how the Superb dash differ from Octavia, but I also noticed when installing the BT into Octavia I had to route the BT wiring harnes left from the radio, which was the only way to fit the Columbus fully back in.
    From memory I also had to go left first. The Quadlock extension made if very tight but there was heaps of length in the harness to allow it to go left first then double back across behind the Columbus.
    2008 VW Golf V - GT Sport TDI
    2010 Skoda Superb Wagon - Elegance TDI

Users Country Flag

Also plenty of room to site the box between the Columbus and the glovebox.