Thread: "System starting" message on newly acquired RNS510

Users Country Flag

"System starting" message on newly acquired RNS510

Hi all,

I recently bought a slightly used RNS 510 sat nav off ebay.

After installing it myself, and testing all the features, I've found that whenever i go into the "Media" section, it just says "System starting".

It'll even play whatever music is on the cd, but will continue displaying "System starting".

If i adjust the volume while a cd is playing, i then get a bout 2-3 seconds of the media panel, with the artist/song/duration/play/pause information displayed. But once the volume level indication leaves the screen, the "System starting" message re-appears.

I've tried restarting the unit (< + > + i = RESET) and this hasn't fixed it.

I'm thinking of updating the firmware from this link (Volkswagen RNS 510 Firmware Upgrade to version 2760 / 2762 / 2764 / 2766 / 2768 | my-gti.com), however i don't know if my unit is compatible with this upgrade.

If you guys have any ideas, or could point me in the right direction that'd be much appreciated. And how do i know if my unit is compatible with a certain upgrade.

Many thanks,
    Sean

Users Country Flag
    I would suggest that maybe your maps have not been loaded correctly. Get a V4.1 map, apply that and then see I'd it makes a difference.

Where did you get the unit from? What specs did the seller provide? I.e firmware version, unit generation, A,B,C,D etc?
    MY16 Touareg 4.2Lt V8 TDI/Pure White LED lightbox/REDARC Brake Controller/ Racechip/iDrive Throttle controller
    2008 GOLF .:R32/5DR DBPE DSG/SUNROOF/RNS510/PRIVACY TINT/CONTI SC3s/MILLTEK CATBACK NON-RES/9W2 BT/"MYR-032"

Mine will display "System Starting" only if I change the input or try to run the maps within a few seconds of the car starting. Then the message goes away after a few seconds and never comes back up unless i do the same thing on the next start.
    1974 1300 Beetle, 1997 Golf GL, 2003 New Beetle Cabrio, 2014 Audi A4 quattro

Users Country Flag
    Mine will display "System Starting" only within a few seconds of the car starting and changing input. Then the message goes away until the next start up.
    Graphite Blue TDI| DSG | Leather | Bi-Xenons | Custom LED inner tails | Black Forest TAI | OSIR Pod & New South Boost Gauge | Bluefin | Projector Fogs | RNS510 | Skoda Bluetooth | Eibach Pro kit Springs| Full LED interior|US GLI paddle shift MFSW|Carbon Vinyl wrapped trims|Colour Coded Votex Body Kit|

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by blutopless2 View Post
    Mine will display "System Starting" only if I change the input or try to run the maps within a few seconds of the car starting. Then the message goes away after a few seconds and never comes back up unless i do the same thing on the next start.
    Probably doesn't help but mine does the same as blutopless2.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by FJ Steve View Post
    I would suggest that maybe your maps have not been loaded correctly. Get a V4.1 map, apply that and then see I'd it makes a difference.

Where did you get the unit from? What specs did the seller provide? I.e firmware version, unit generation, A,B,C,D etc?
    Hey mate, I've got both v4.1 and v3 maps and they both do the same thing.

I got the unit from QLD, Australia. The seller didn't provide any specs, just "rns510, taken out 6months ago, working condition, been laying around, time to sell"

I don't know what firmware version or unit generation. Can i find that out without a vagcom cable? I can have the unit out of the car, and get the serial number, where/when it was made, all the stickers on the outside etc