Support VWWC

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Octavia Wagon sound deadening

Users Country Flag

Octavia Wagon sound deadening

Some people have mentioned that Skoda save some money in areas like sound deadening.....

I had a spare day yesterday so I thought I would use it to tear the car apart and see how much deadener is used in the rear. I found there is plenty of space in there that acts like a boom box! A couple of blocks of HD foam have been pushed in behind the wheel wells but it seems a poor attempt...

The photos on Flickr might help if anyone wished to remove the rear panelling. It is mostly straight forward provided you have Torx drivers. And if someone knows how to remove the rear seat edge cushions let me know! I didn't want to force anything.

Anyway, thanks to RSOK for the idea and material (I used it all BTW!).

I haven't been for a drive yet, but I hope to note some minor reduction at highway speeds.

After taking out the floor panel and spare wheel, the first cowl to be removed is the bottom panel that covers the boot latch (3 plastic nuts and spring clips). Then the rear pillar cowls. This top panel then unscrews with 3 visible screws including the carry hook. They are all torx screws. I am lifting it on this angle because I could not access the front fixing screw (hidden behind the rear seat squab). You need to lift it to remove the fixing screws for the side panels.

This first photo shows the insulation I added to the left side. There was heaps of space behind the panelling and I think I could have added extra layers although this should be enought to stop the road noise booming through from the rear quarter panel.

The same with the right side. There is actually space travelling between the wheel well and the quarter panel. This adds to the vibration or harmonics that add to the noise at highway speeds. I also glued deadener to the wheel wells, which had not been done when I took these photos.

I did not glue the remaining deadener in, other than around the edges of the wheel well.

Last edited by MarksVRS; 11-04-2011 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Attempted to fix the pictures
    2015 MY16 Brilliant Silver Octavia vRS Wagon TDI DSG with Tech Pack, 19" black pack, pano roof and auto tailgate

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    If anyone can remind how to add photos??? The links are showing in my post but nothing shows once I submit the thread.
    2015 MY16 Brilliant Silver Octavia vRS Wagon TDI DSG with Tech Pack, 19" black pack, pano roof and auto tailgate

Users Country Flag
    Keen to see the pics also...
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by MarksVRS View Post
    If anyone can remind how to add photos??? The links are showing in my post but nothing shows once I submit the thread.
    Flickr isn't playing nice, normally I'd right click on the image and select "Copy image url" which you can then paste in between the .

IF you want to see the pics, click here These screws are difficult to access! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    --------------------------

Users Country Flag
    Plenty of pictures in this How to ©koda Octavia Club - Tlumení kufru Vibraflexem, but it is in Czech language. You can see from the numbers there that there was more than a couple of dB difference (actually quite a good result).
    Last edited by Transporter; 10-04-2011 at 08:15 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I'll get around to showing you what I've done so far. I had a Bulk pack of Dynamat left over from doing my Merc Van and thought I'd use it in the RS. Always good to quieten things down and helps give the stereo a bit more punch.
    I've only done the floor of the boot area, & under the rear seat. I've yet to pull panels to do the rear wheel arches and also need to do the doors. If I had my head screwed on, i should have got the Service centre to fit some to the roof when they had the lining out, would have been happy to pay for the fitting. Will get pics and post em when i have the time.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I added a link in the first post. I'll try for the pics again later...

Edit.... Thanks Hooba, beat me to it!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by MarksVRS View Post
    It appears to me that you've disabled the sharing in your flickr profile. I've mine tweaked for more privacy too but you have to allow for some sharing, I think. When I have time I will check my profile in flickr and post the settings. I use mostly Picasa in Google, much better, it gives you more privacy and more options for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    It appears to me that you've disabled the sharing in your flickr profile.
    Even if you make photos private you can still post them as links on sites like this. Flickr just warns you that you are posting a private photo to a public site.

Open the photo that you want to share in Flickr (click on it's thumbnail)

Click on the top drop down arrow beside the Facebook and Twitter icons at the top left of the image.

Click on "Grab the HTML/BB code"

Select the "BB code" button and the size image that you want.

Highlight the text and copy it (Control-C on a PC) then paste it here

20110410-RLR_7868 by mcguirem07, on Flickr

Now comes that editing bit

The text for the above image looks like this (with the spaces I have added)

[u r l=http://www.flickr.com/photos/toolangi_30-9-07/5607064961/][i m g]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5069/5607064961_e0d62ebd36_z.jpg[/i m g][/u r l]
    [u r l=http://www.flickr.com/photos/toolangi_30-9-07/5607064961/]20110410-RLR_7868[/u r l] by [ u r l=http://www.flickr.com/people/toolangi_30-9-07/]mcguirem07[/u r l], on Flickr

If you want to get rid of the words under the image but still have it as a link to your Flickr site then delete the last two lines so you end up with this code (no spaces of course)

[u r l=http://www.flickr.com/photos/toolangi_30-9-07/5607064961/][i m g]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5069/5607064961_e0d62ebd36_z.jpg[/i m g][/u r l]

and you will get this

If you just want the photo with no links to Flickr just highlight and copy ithe text between the img tags (in bold below). Notice that the image is no longer a link.

[ u rl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/toolangi_30-9-07/5607064961/][i m g]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5069/5607064961_e0d62ebd36_z.jpg[/i m g][/u r l]

For the observant yes that is not my Flickr account but 99% of the images there are mine and I effectively administer it for various reasons. It's there for one reason only and that should be obvious.
    My Škoda photos here

Flickr : Blog

Users Country Flag

Well I've done exactly as you said, clicked on the thumbnail and clicked button next to facebook and my link look exactly like the OP's link but his doesn't display image.

You can compare and see that my pictures when you get in flicker give the same style link, but his won't display image.

This is the result when you're not signed into your Flickr account.

The same picture when signed in.

Last edited by Transporter; 11-04-2011 at 07:14 PM.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast