Support VWWC

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Octavia Towbar Blues

Users Country Flag

Lightbulb Octavia Towbar Blues

A couple of things of interest.

"13 pin EU and 7 pin AU Socket mounting"
    Generally the VAG genuine kits come as 13 pin Euro and a 7 pin Aussie flat to 13 pin Euro adapter. Some Dealers have been fitting the adapter as permanent and cable tieing the 13 pin socket to adapter joint up under the rear apron because some of the locally sourced bars do not come with the drop down or permanent plate to mount the ISO1194 13-pin Euro connector. This happened to me and I am having it sorted as they just wrapped the joint in insulation tape which did not give a waterproof connection,they had even thrown away the rest of the 13 pin socket to compound matters! I have spoken to the VAG genuine towbar suppliers about this and they say there is no swivel down mounting plate because VAG didn't specify it. Wakeup VAG, have a look at the EU Genuine suppliers supply specs!

"Adapter Wiring"
    There is also a problem with the VAG supplied 13-pin EU to 7-pin AU adapter in that pin 2 of the 13 pin EU (Rear Trailer Fog Light) has been wired to pin 5 (Electric Brakes) of the 7 pin AU socket! All because the same colour is used or a variation of on the Euro connector (Blue or grey/blue stripe IS1194.) and nobody thought to check it. I have spoken this week at the cost of an international call to the VAG genuine towbar suppliers who also supply the adapter. They where not aware of these problems as feedback given to Skoda/VAG re towbar faults never left VAG HQ in Sydney! Looking at the threads, this problem has been reported to VAG since 2009, not only on Skoda but other VW, Audi genuine towbar kits sold by VAG.

"Bulb Failure Warning"
    In as far as bulb fail goes for AU fitted lighting kits, check that the towbar has been coded properly by the dealer! In early systems only 2 options are given: EU and "Rest of the world" (0 and 1), now it is different and AU electrics on the towbar should be set to country code "3" as this allows park light only on right channel and left channel without bulb check I think. The system passes 1.7 volts DC down each lighting wire to detect a load and if no load is detected on 1 channel it shows that channel as bulb fail. Multiple loads ensure trailer detection to disable rear parking sensors etc. etc. The link on the 13 pin plug between pin 3 and pin 12 which is part of the IS spec for the connector is not used by VW family of vehicles as they use a smart detect system.

I am getting quite the expert with these problems with having to sort out my own with the dealer, VAG and towbar manufacturers!

"Towbar Load Rating Labelling"
    One other problem is VAG having incorrect labelling info on the "Genuine VAG" towbars themselves and the "Genuine VAG" Towbar manufacturers having no idea of the problem!

The towbar for an Octavia Liftback, Combi (Wagon) and Octavia Scout are the same, just with different mounting points between bar and frame between the 2wd vehicles and 4x4 Scout. However the bar if fitted to an Octavia is only max rated at 1200kg (Factory max Spec is 1300kg!) whereas if fitted to an Octavia Scout it is max rated at 1600kg! The only label on the bar, as per ADR states only the 1200kg for the 2wd liftback and wagon Octavia! VAG's response is "If anyone asks, show them the owners manual specs!", this does not work in with Transport Inspectors or Police Traffic Officers in Australia and a fine and maybe loss of license points occurs as well as having to leave the trailer on the side of the road and coming back in a vehicle with a bar at the correct rating for the load!
    They also need to get the max towbar spec right to start with! The owners manual says:

Permissible trailer loads, trailer braked
    for OCTAVIA M6 / OCTAVIA DQ6 / COMBI M6 / COMBI DQ6 is:
    1400b) 1600c)/1400a) c)

And for COMBI 4x4 M6 and SCOUT M6
    1600b) 1700c) /1600a)c)
    a) Vehicles of the group N1 (?)
    b) Uphills up to 12 %
    c) Uphills up to 8%
    Permissible trailer loads, trailer unbraked 650 for all.

But the towbar supplied by VAG is rated at 1200kg!

I paid for the correct higher rated bar when I ordered my Octavia Scout, I even made sure that the dealer understood the max rating of the bar for the Scout and they verified with VAG accessory support that it was a 1600kg max rated unit and yet I still ended up with a bar with the wrong rating on it. I rang the NZ company who manufactures the towbars for VAG who knew nothing of the problems. They rang me back the next day to tell me what they had done and now have placed the cat amongst the pigeons, bouncing backwards and forwards across the Tasman as VAG are legally culpable of a breach under ADR labelling specs as well as commercial mis-representaion maybe in regards to towbars option specs to both Supplier and Customers . Neither "Westfalia ag" or "Eric-Jaeger ag" make this mistake or have this problem in EU and they are the "Genuine VAG" factory option towbar suppliers to VW ag EU! Also their installation instructions cover everything it seems including resealing with body seal over chassis bolts replaced .

Sorry about that last bit, the poor dealer is now waiting to see what happens as much as I am. The finger is pointed at VAG, not Skoda Australia as VAG arranged all the Local Genuine options for VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda.
    Last edited by scoutau; 15-10-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Corrected towbar specs and inserted from manual
    - Storm Blue Metallic / CS Aeromesh Onyx trim MY2011 (3/11 manufacture.) Skoda Octavia II Scout 2.0TDI 6 speed Manual.
    -MDI-Factory Prep Towbar (13 pin Euro)-Factory Prep GSM II with 9W7 Bluetooth Phone kit-Tint 5

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for that. Very detailed which is good.

It might explain the bulb failure warning I regularly get, which seems to be linked to the headlights ie. only goes off when the headlights come on. The first time it happens was towing a trailerload of furniture from Ikea, in the wet, in peak hour traffic in Sydney. I nearly freaked when the strange warning first came on!

But now I'm used to it, I guess I will just mention it at the next service.

Also good to know about towbar ratings. I'm tempted to go for a diesel Scout next time, and want to get this right.
    MY15 Octavia Scout TDI135 Moon White Tech Pack Panoramic Sunroof Polar wheels

On the load ratings issue - are you saying that all the Australian factory fitted towbars are incorrectly labelled?... Mine is correct. I can take a photo if you really want, but it says 1300kg

Mine has been incorrectly coded, but I figured it was pretty unlikely for it to be completely correct given some dealers reputations.... anyway as far as I've used it everything works OK except that my reverse parking sensors arent disabled with the trailer wiring plugged in... probably if I try to code it correctly it will fix it.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Ok, here's a curly one - my car (Octavia Elegance 4x4) has the Tow Bar Prep code.

So I need the wiring kit meant for that. Anyone know what that costs?

Also does the wiring kit meant for cars WITHOUT tow bar prep have everything that the 'with tow bar prep' kit has (plus presumably some extra wiring)?

Users Country Flag
    I had a towbar fitted by a skoda dealer today (presumably all genuine). They mounted the 13 pin connector on the bumper bar and gave me a 13 pin to 7 pin adapter. I don't have a trailer yet so I just plugged the adapter in and put the car into reverse. The reverse sensors went off so I pulled the adapter apart and sure enough there was no link between pin 3 and 12. Aha, I thought! I have read the forums and know how to fix that!. I linked up pin 3 and 12 and tried reverse again. Sad to say, the reverse sensors triggered again. Closer inspection of the 13 pin socket revealed the pins 10, 11 and 12 were NOT PRESENT in the socket. The dealer assures me that the trailer is detected when connected so I presume it must detect the load.
    As mentioned by scoutau above, pin 2 of the 13 pin plug on the adapter has been eroneously wired to pin 5 on the 7 pin socket

---------- Post added 03-04-2012 at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was 02-04-2012 at 08:51 PM ----------

Further information.
    1. I hooked up a trailer. There is no load sensing so the reverse sensors are always on
    2. I removed one of the indicator bulbs to see what would happen. There was no warning on the dash but the indicator went at twice the speed.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Ok, after much checking, the genuine SKODA towbar electrics use bulb sensing by putting slight voltage on each wire to determine if trailer is connected.
    When the dealer installed the towbar wiring they should have coded the car to tell it the following:

a: It has a towbar fitted. If they don't the reverse sensor stays active. When correctly wired and you select reverse a picture of a trailer "A" frame is added to the reverse picture and no alarm! If this is not happening, the dealer didn't program your car for towbar!

b: The car needs to be told it is located in Australia, this changes the wire detection to allow for Australian single bus (One wire for all park and one wire for all Stop lights.) 7 conductor trailer wiring instead of the dual bus (Left and right side of trailer for stop and park) used in Europe.

Also the 13-pin to 7-pin adapter wiring needs to have been modded to the spec issued in late February by VAG Australia to remove the "7-pin socket brake wire connected to 13-pin rear foglight pin"! This was a recall issued by VAG after I brought it to their information in September last year, their is also a recall for re-labelling of the towbars (Affects all VAG Australia bars fitted to Scouts supplied by NZ company.) as current labelling is incorrect and in contravention of ADR causing possibility of a fine by DOT Transport Inspectors or Police. Both stem from my complaint to VAG Australia in September last year.
    - Storm Blue Metallic / CS Aeromesh Onyx trim MY2011 (3/11 manufacture.) Skoda Octavia II Scout 2.0TDI 6 speed Manual.
    -MDI-Factory Prep Towbar (13 pin Euro)-Factory Prep GSM II with 9W7 Bluetooth Phone kit-Tint 5

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutau View Post
    Ok, after much checking, the genuine SKODA towbar electrics use bulb sensing by putting slight voltage on each wire to determine if trailer is connected.
    When the dealer installed the towbar wiring they should have coded the car to tell it the following:

a: It has a towbar fitted. If they don't the reverse sensor stays active. When correctly wired and you select reverse a picture of a trailer "A" frame is added to the reverse picture and no alarm! If this is not happening, the dealer didn't program your car for towbar!

b: The car needs to be told it is located in Australia, this changes the wire detection to allow for Australian single bus (One wire for all park and one wire for all Stop lights.) 7 conductor trailer wiring instead of the dual bus (Left and right side of trailer for stop and park) used in Europe.

Also the 13-pin to 7-pin adapter wiring needs to have been modded to the spec issued in late February by VAG Australia to remove the "7-pin socket brake wire connected to 13-pin rear foglight pin"! This was a recall issued by VAG after I brought it to their information in September last year, their is also a recall for re-labelling of the towbars (Affects all VAG Australia bars fitted to Scouts supplied by NZ company.) as current labelling is incorrect and in contravention of ADR causing possibility of a fine by DOT Transport Inspectors or Police. Both stem from my complaint to VAG Australia in September last year.
    Yep - Just found that out myself. Got onto erWin and the trailer wring shows no pin connections for 10,11 and 12.
    a: Obviously has not been down - Going to dealer tomorrow
    b: This also has been cabled for in the 13-7 adapter. Pins 5,7 of the 13 go through diodes to pin 7 on the 7 pin
    As I mentioned above the fog light is connected to the electric brake in my adapter so still not fixed - disconnected it
    I have not comprehensively checked the labelling but there ARE different ratings for the different models.

Users Country Flag
    Went to the dealer but he could not get the rear sensors to disable. Interestingly the bulb failure detection is working. Does anyone know what the minimum bulb wattage requirements are because I will have to build a dummy load for a LED light trailer set. I dont want to build the load too big.

Quote Originally Posted by IanHamilton View Post
    Went to the dealer but he could not get the rear sensors to disable. Interestingly the bulb failure detection is working. Does anyone know what the minimum bulb wattage requirements are because I will have to build a dummy load for a LED light trailer set. I dont want to build the load too big.
    you can buy an off the shelf load resistor from auto-elec suppliers (designed for fitment of LED clusters to trailers). I got one from supercheap.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag

Look in the Roomster section for Julian Edgars posts. He made a box of wires & resistors for his towbar.

generally, a running light is 6w & the brake & reverse lights are 21w but I'm thinking that's not the answer you are after.....
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast