Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: POLO GTI Engine Oil Change Question

POLO GTI Engine Oil Change Question

Hi everybody, after a 14-month loooooong waiting period, my POLO GTI is finally there. Just picked it up from the dealer yesterday.

I read the following two articles, which both recommend an early oil change around 50km mark. I want the absolute best performance out of my car, so I decided to go ahead and book an appointment with my dealer to get the oil changed.

New Car Care – How to Take Care of a New Car - Popular Mechanics
    Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

However, when I rang up the dealer, the dealer told me that I was wasting my money by changing the oil so early. Plus the oil put in by VW during manufacturing is somehow different from the ones on the market.

I am a total newbie in terms of handling new car. Never had a new car before. I will be very much appreciated if you could share your experience regarding break-in a car. Specifically, do I need to change the oil so early? And if I do need change, what kind/brand of oil is recommended? Thank you in advance. Any help will be appreciated.

Users Country Flag
    Polo GTIs have been known to have oil consumption issues in the past. This may not be the case with the current batch of cars coming through. The engine has been revised on these.

As always, it's best to stick with the manufacturer's recommendations in regards to servicing. Afterall, it's their warranty.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Yes, I am aware of the high oil consumption issue of this model. I was warned by the dealer yesterday to closely monitor the oil level in the first 6000km. If it goes low, bring the car back to them and they will top it up. Finger crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by key View Post
    I am a total newbie in terms of handling new car. Never had a new car before. I will be very much appreciated if you could share your experience regarding break-in a car.
    Modern cars have no specific break-in procedure, unless stated otherwise in the owner's manual.

Just drive as you would normally:
    - Avoid high revs until the engine has warmed up.
    - Don't hesitate to use the throttle
    - Don't baby it excessively.

It isn't necessary to go chasing obnoxious run-in procedures.

In regards to the oil consumption issue, indications suggest it's due to random quality control at the factory. As such, the chance you'll encounter this issue is also random, but less likely if your engine is of a newer build.

Specifically, do I need to change the oil so early?
    No, it is not necessary. If you do, use the same oil you would use normally for service (see below).

If you wish, you may opt for a shorter interval of 7500 km/6 months yourself (oil and oil filter only) instead of the normal 15000 km/12 month interval if your driving conditions justify it.

And if I do need change, what kind/brand of oil is recommended? Thank you in advance. Any help will be appreciated.
    VW maintains a list of oils that have been approved, where lubricant manufacturers send their product to VW for evaluation (and have been successful). Any oil on these lists will be suitable.

The relevant VW oil standard for your car is "502.00/505.00" or "504.00/507.00" (I recommend this for TSI engines).
    Always check the label on the back of the bottle.

Users Country Flag
    If you are unlucky and get a car that has the high oil consumption issue you are effectively constantly changing your oil , at a rate of 1 LTR every 2000 km or less , i will be taking my car in for a consumption test as i am going through 1 ltr of oil every 1000 + km .

My car is a 12.5 polo GTI with just over 3500 km and have used in excess of 3 liters of oil what a joke

My advice to anyone considering purchasing a POLO GTI is .......Wait till VW have worked out a real solution to this problem .

Users Country Flag
    Your dealer will not perform an oil consumption test until after the 15,000klm service has been perfomed.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

talked to a few people who had GTI before. All recommended to change the oil around 1000km~1500km. I think I will do the same. As for the suitable oil for the GTI engine. Here is a list I came across online. I will just put it out there for people who have the similar question. Thank you all for your replies and help. Cheers.

Volkswagen Oil Standard 504.00 / 507.00 Approved Oils | my-gti.com

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Your dealer will not perform an oil consumption test until after the 15,000klm service has been perfomed.
    Sorry but this is incorrect. There are owners who are getting engine replacements under 5K due to extreme consumption levels. Are you telling me they haven't had a test done?

Users Country Flag
    I'd say so.

How they're pushing this past the warranty office at VW Australia is beyond me.

I've done probably 15 oil consumption tests in the last 18 months, 5 of which on Polo GTIs.

The bulletins and procedures state that it should not be performed before the 15,000klm service, and that it is at the customer's expense until proven that the oil consumption is in fact outside the maximum tolerances.

Believe me, I wouldn't have bothered posting, unless I knew what I was talking about.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag

My car has just under 6000km and this is what it looks like.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast