Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Retrofit of RVC to MK6 Golf

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Idle View Post
    There's a (more expensive, of course) unit used in up-market VAG cars that does this by way of an extra black box — the device sold to we plebes is self-contained and the camera view is fixed.

It might be possible to fit it to a Golf, but I doubt anyone has chanced their arm as yet.
    I wrote the original RVC DIY on the VWgolf.net.au forum.
    This is a little bit hard to explain.

The yellow lines are straight in standard form. But if you bought the car with RVC installed there is an option to set them to "reverse parallel park". When in this mode the lines sort of cross, helping you reverse parallel park. I have never seen them move with the wheel, at least not in Australia.

When doing the DIY I have never found the coding to allow the reversing lines to be set to cross (reverse park). it must be there somewhere.

Chris
    The Car: MY20 Black Golf R Final Edition, 5 Door, Driver assistance package, Sun Roof.

I've seen the parallel parking guidelines on some videos but presume you need Park Assist for that. I saw the moving guidelines in an Audi Q7 on TopGear Australia once (needed an Oz reference, don't judge me), and plenty of times on YouTube.

Users Country Flag
    I'm currently waiting for the ECS kits to come back in stock, I have been talking with Andy from ECS who tells me that a MKVI kit should be available shortly too (rather than the current MKV kit). I'm pretty keen to get one of these into the Cabriolet because it has such a big sexy arse!

I there any alternatives (and reputable) sources for the badge camera other than ECS anyway?

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Just whatever you find on eBay, although installation won't be as easy (not P&P).

When reversing into my driveway I still rely mainly on my mirrors by habit instead of looking at the screen - but it is handy in other situations where the mirrors are of no use (fish-bowl lens is good for reversing out of public car parks where adjacent parked cars block your view of traffic and pedestrians.

Just as long as there's no screen-glare
    Last edited by Ryan_R; 14-02-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Users Country Flag
    The current kit isn't plug and play (although a new kit is coming). Looking through the MK5 installation instructions and the wiring looks reasonably straight forward if you wanted to simply hard wire/splice in the half dozen wires that are needed. If you choose to follow the my-gti instructions to create your own loom it's a little more involved although should result in a neater (and removable) result.

At this point I have two thoughts in mind.

#1 The ECS plug and play kit for the MkVI is on it's way and since the old kits aren't even available at the moment I'm left with no option but to wait for something which will then hopefully be easier to install...

BUT.

#2 I want to put it into the Cabriolet so while the install *should* be the same, there is no guarantee that it's not going to be a custom job anyway

I'm just getting the urge to tinker more and this is high on the wants list

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Yeah I meant the ECS kit is more P&P than most other guides, only 3 wires to splice IIRC.

Not sure what hidden surprises await you when you go rummaging around the cab's backside.

Users Country Flag
    It *should* be much the same... but we will see soon enough. (Just have to remember to test the whole thing before I go ripping it all apart )

Reverse Camera

Hi guys,

I've done a search but unable to find info on anyone who has purchased a complete reverse camera kit to their mk6 to plug into RNS 510 and then paid someone to install it. I've read heaps about self installs but am just way too chicken to do it. Has anyone used an auto electrician or stereo installer they can recommend?

Joe

European Autotech in mona vale has done several installs of the badge camera.
    r32

Users Country Flag

Well I had my RVC installed today into my MK6 GTI with RCD510.
    Bought the kit from carsystems.pl because it was cheap (about AUD$480 all up) in stock and The_Hawk had success fitting it in his MK6 Cab.

The kit came with everything needed:

- Camera
    - Wiring loom
    - Drain tube
    - 2 x 10A fuses
    - Wire splicing clip

Here is the the way I went about installing this.

1. Disconnected the battery
    2. Remove or lift the trims just enough so you can feed the power and video cable through. For me, this was the most time consuming and annoying part of the whole install.
    3. Connect the 26 pin plug from the video cable to the back of the RCD510 (mustard coloured socket)
    4. Feed the video cable first through the front trim, along the door sill, up the C-pillar towards the rubber conduit. Remove the blue plug on the end of the video cable. There's a small lug that you can lift to pull the housing out. Once its out, feed this through the conduit and along the boot lid.
    5. Disconnect and remove the old badge. Fit the RVC, keeping in mind to attach the ground when mounting it back on.
    6. Connect all the wiring up. There should only be a yellow (short) and red (long) wire left over.
    7. Using the wire splice, hook the yellow wire up to the revese signal wire. The reverse signal wire should be wire 1 (right-most) on the rear passenger side boot lid light panel. If unsure, detach the bulb housing and look at the track circuits. If the track circuit joins up with the other bulb then this is ground, meaning that the other track is the signal wire. You may want to use a multimeter (set to resistance) check fo connectivity between the reverse signal and yellow wire.
    8. As with the video cable, going in reverse order, feed the red wire along the boot lid, through the conduit, down the C-pillar, along the door sill and through the front trim.
    9. Feed the red wire behind the fuse box to add a new circuit. I chose slot 16 as it's a spare and there's a 12 volt plate attached. Addition of extra circuits to the Volkswagen Golf / Jetta / Passat / EOS / Scirocco / Rabbit fuse box | my-gti.com
      Ensure the move the carrier downwards to unlock the connectors. It took me a hour to realise this after I kept wondering why the damn thing did't stay in place when I plugged a fuse in.
    10. Plug in the 10a fuse.
    11. Using a multimeter (set to resistance) check fo connectivity between the back of the red wire and the 12V plate when the fuse is connected.
    12. Check all the wiring and reconnect the battery.
    13. Fire up VAG-COM and select Radio (56), Coding (07), Long coding helper. Select Byte 3, and check Bit 6 (Back-Up Camera Installled). The RCD-510 should reset automatically.
    14. Test out the camera by puting the car in reverse.
    15. If all is good, attach the drain tube.
    16. Tidy up the wiring (cable tie, tape etc.) put the trims back on.

Good luck and if anyone has any issues shoot me a PM.
    MY12 MKVI Golf GTI DSG
    MY16 MKVII Golf 92TSI Tendline DSG

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast