Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Mk6 Golf DSG Clutch / Shudder / Squeal Issues Thread

Users Country Flag

The Official Mk6 Golf DSG Clutch / Shudder / Squeal Issues Thread

My car today developed a problem with the DSG. Normally when it's in 2nd gear in slow traffic the clutch take up from a slow crawl to acceleration is smooth.

Today the clutch take up from 2nd gear in "D" started getting rough - like there's a violent shudder for 2 seconds.

I decided to do a few exercises to see when it would replicate. The shudder isn't there when I use tiptronic from 1st to 2nd.

If I'm in "D" the shudder isn't there if I accelerate quickly from D1, through D2 to D3.

Whilst crawling in D2, the clutch take up is smooth if I accelerate lightly from the slow crawl.

Whilst crawling in D2, the clutch take up is violent if I accelerate moderately to heavy from the slow crawl.

Obviously the answer is I have to take it into the workshop to have it checked. I'm dreading it though cos I already know that Mascot is booked out for June. I'm worried Five Dock will likely be the same.

In the meantime I'll have to drive like a granny in D2 until I hit D3.

Pity it's a public holiday tomorrow & I have to wait an extra day.

Anyone else starting to experience similar issues with the 7DSG? I've done a general google search & cannot find anything on the matter.

The car has just celebrated its 1st birthday and I've got 22,200 km on the clock.
    Skoda Octavia Mk3
    (sold) Golf Mark 6 Comfortline 118
    (sold) Golf Mark5 Comfortline Manual 2.0 FSI

Users Country Flag
    Hi CK,
    Just did over 5000ks in 2 weeks. See post here http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f112...tml#post520664
    I experienced the same problem a couple of times on my trip, but only seemed to be after a few hours continuously in 7th at 110 Km/h plus.
    After my rest stop, I would take off easy and get the shudder in 2nd. Also if I took off a bit more aggressively. I had a fully laden car and the Mechatronics wanted to put the gearbox into 2nd at under 1000 revs.
    (Must have "learnt" that I wanted to be in 7th all the time LOL)
    After a few of these episodes I started taking off in manual mode and letting the motor rev a bit in first and second - say 3500 - 4000 rpm.
    Since I've been home and running around town again with lots of gear changes, I haven't been able to replicate the problem. (I've tried to so I can show it to the mechs when I get my 15k service done in a few weeks)
    However, all seems normal now, but will mention it when its in for a service.
    Hope its not another time bomb (like the motor failures) waiting to happen. Although I love the car, I may have to unload it before the warranty is up, even if nothing fails before then. All these negative posts tend to undermine my confidence in the longevity of the VW.
    Last edited by Brian; 15-06-2010 at 12:46 AM. Reason: forgot URL
    Current drive:2016 Golf GTI 40 Years in Pure White

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Hope its not another time bomb....
    No it wont be. Fair chance it is just the clutch adaptations getting out of whack.
    Drive it in manual mode for a bit. Especially in the regime where you reckon the clutch take up is getting rough. From what I can gather from your description, this is from 2nd to 3rd. So the K2 clutch disengaging and the K1 taking up. If there was a genuine clutch problem, logic suggests you would expect to see it as all the odd gears engaged, whereas you are only reporting it from 2nd to 3rd. So quite possibly the current adaptations for the gear engage points and clutch positions during this change are out of whack. If it was my car I would just reset the clutch adaptations to back to basic settings with my VCDS. then let it adapt form scratch again. But as you don't have VCDS, drive it around in manual mode a for a while. Especially through the gear change you reckon is dodgy. See if it improves as the adaptations change. Good chance they will.
    BTW the 2nd to 3rd change is the first point at which the K1 clutch fully engages. In a normal leisurely start off, the K1 clutch actually slips all the way to 2nd gear. So this is why you wont be seeing it when you first move.
    Last edited by logger; 15-06-2010 at 10:25 AM.
    Golf Mk6 118 TSI DSG |APR Stage I ECU Upgrade | HEX-USB+CAN

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by cktsi View Post
    My car today developed a problem with the DSG. Normally when it's in 2nd gear in slow traffic the clutch take up from a slow crawl to acceleration is smooth.

Today the clutch take up from 2nd gear in "D" started getting rough - like there's a violent shudder for 2 seconds.

I decided to do a few exercises to see when it would replicate. The shudder isn't there when I use tiptronic from 1st to 2nd.
    I had a similar issue at only 2xxx km. Car was back at the dealer for some warranty work and I asked them to take a look. When I picked it up, they had updated some software and reset the dsg to factory settings. Problem solved and I haven't felt it since. May be worth asking the dealer to reset the DSG when its in for service and see if that helps

Mark

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by logger View Post
    If it was my car I would just reset the clutch adaptations to back to basic settings with my VCDS. then let it adapt form scratch again.
    Logger

Can you shed some light on how to reset the clutch adaptations? I'm assuming this is what the dealer did. I've got VCDS & a vagcom cable so I can do it myself. Would be handy to know if it occurs again.

Thanks
    Mark

Users Country Flag
    But as you don't have VCDS, drive it around in manual mode a for a while.
    Thanks Logger, now that I think about it I haven't had any problems since I ran the car in manual mode for a few days. The Mechatronics may have reset itself as per your diagnostics.
    Current drive:2016 Golf GTI 40 Years in Pure White

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Looks like vw finally know what the issue is. I took my car in 2weeks ago as the shudder has become worse.

They said that they have seen and fixed quite a few golf 6 with DSG 7. Apparently it is something to do with a faulty shim. Not sure what the shim is, but sounds like it guides the clutch plates.

Sometimes they warp and create uneven contact... And hence the shuddering.

The fix? They had to go through the standard diagnostic procedure of replacing the mechatronics, even though the service centre knew that was not the cause.

After replacing the mechatronics the issue is still there. So now they can concentrate on the real fix.

They will replace the clutches. The clutch for the even gears is now slipping when i put the boot in after 2000rpm in any even gear. So they're pretty worn out.

They will also replace the shim.

Hopefully they fix the issue. I will see when i pick up the car tomorrow.

I thought to post this as a record for anyone else out there who may have this issue, but are being given the run around. After a change in personnel at my dealer, they obviously now have more knowledgeable staff who not only will acknowledge the issue but also know how to fix it.
    Skoda Octavia Mk3
    (sold) Golf Mark 6 Comfortline 118
    (sold) Golf Mark5 Comfortline Manual 2.0 FSI

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for the update cktsi

Quote Originally Posted by cktsi View Post
    Looks like vw finally know what the issue is. I took my car in 2weeks ago as the shudder has become worse.

They said that they have seen and fixed quite a few golf 6 with DSG 7. Apparently it is something to do with a faulty shim. Not sure what the shim is, but sounds like it guides the clutch plates.

Sometimes they warp and create uneven contact... And hence the shuddering.

The fix? They had to go through the standard diagnostic procedure of replacing the mechatronics, even though the service centre knew that was not the cause.

After replacing the mechatronics the issue is still there. So now they can concentrate on the real fix.

They will replace the clutches. The clutch for the even gears is now slipping when i put the boot in after 2000rpm in any even gear. So they're pretty worn out.

They will also replace the shim.

Hopefully they fix the issue. I will see when i pick up the car tomorrow.

I thought to post this as a record for anyone else out there who may have this issue, but are being given the run around. After a change in personnel at my dealer, they obviously now have more knowledgeable staff who not only will acknowledge the issue but also know how to fix it.
    Mine was replaced at 30k kms after bitching and moaning for the past 15,000 kms! The shuddering was absolutely shocking. You couldn't drive it without it shuddering unless you had 3 people in the car. Took a techie for a drive, as soon as I pulled out of the car spot, it shuddered. Techie said that's the worst he's ever experienced. They replaced the clutch packs without replacing the mechatronics, so that was a surprise to me. Took about 4 days to do.

So far, all is good, no shuddering.

Users Country Flag

ozgti, do you know if they replaced this "shim" along with the clutch packs? Or was yours just the clutch packs?

Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast